Regaña cartridges for subcaliber training devices

Gervasio González Regaña died in 1999 at 83 being a retired infantry colonel. The first Regaña patent dates from 1955 and is about a subcaliber training device for the 106 mm recoilless gun, at the time recently issued to the Spanish army. It consisted in a mock 106 mm cartridge lodging a 7,92 x 57 rifle barrel inside.

In 1960 he patented a training rocket for the Instalaza 88,9 mm shoulder rocket launcher. This was a mock rocket with a barrel inside firing a special cartridge.

I don’t have much information on the subject but I believe that the timeline for the special Regaña cartridges is as follows:

1960’s: First trials with 7,62 Tokarev and 7,63 Mauser cases, using 7,62 mm bullets.

1960’s: Trials with the new caliber of 7,62 x 33 based on the Kurz cartridge. 7,62 Nato bullets. This cartridge was developed at the Palencia factory but to no good end: the desired ballistics were never achieved. Word was that the problem was lack of understanding between Regaña and Santa Barbara’s management. Anyway, the system was sold to Argentina and they managed to manufacture the ammo there with no problem.

1970’s: Regaña develops his new cartridges and has them made at Portugal by FNM. These are the 7,62 x 24 and 7,92 x 24, using Nato and sS bullets respectively. These systems were adopted by the Spanish army.

1980’s: Regaña develops a training system for the Instalaza C-90 90 mm shoulder launched weapon. The cartridge is the 9 x 24 and has a propietary long lead or jacketed bullet. This system was adopted by the Spanish army.

It is worth noting that in spite of some headstamps and box labels, the case of the bottleneck Regaña cartridges is always 24 mm long. Some 7,92 mm cartridges are headstamped “7,92 x 24,5” and some 7,62 boxes are marked “7,62 x 24,5”.

These are the cartridges in the picture:

1. 7,62 x 33, ball, GMCS knurled bullet.
  2. 7,62 x 33, tracer, GMCS bullet.
  3. 7,62 x 25, ball, GMCS bullet.
  4. 7,62 x 25, tracer, GMCS bullet.
  5. 7.63 x 25, ball, GM bullet.
  6. 7,62 x 24, tracer, GMCS knurled bullet.
  7. 7.92 x 24, ball, sS style GMCS bullet.
  8. 7.92 x 24,5, ball, sS style GMCS bullet.
  9. 7,62 x 24, ball, GMCS knurled bullet.
  10. 7,62 x 24, tracer, GMCS knurled bullet.
  11. 7,62 x 24, tracer, GMCS knurled bullet, green casemouth seal

Cheers,

Schneider.

Cartridge info needed

Wow! Those two 7.62x25 got me by surprise now.

Excellent information - superbly presented. Why would there be a need for the two different calibres, 7.62mm & 7.92mm, for the Instalaza?

It puzzles me too, and the two calibers coexisted in Spanish service. Furthermore, the 7,92 was not a tracer, or at least it’s not so marked on the outside.

I think that these cases were remnants from the Spanish civil war. However, the portuguese colony in Angola was flooded with soviet guns and ammo supplied to the guerrilla.

In a Pete de Coux auction I have seen a similar round loaded in a commercial WRA 7,65 Parabellum case. The caliber having been regulation in the country during some years, it’s not difficult that a supply of commercial ammo for privately owned pistols was available too.

Where does the 9mm version with the long lead bullet fit in?

Yes I have seen some of that stuff down there. Museums would have been jealous.

In Argentina, the “Fray Luis Beltran” military factory produced the 7,62 x 33 cartridge for the Instalaza training devices, the hdst. is F.L.B. 7.62X33 YEAR OF MANUFATURE, and of course red painted tip.

Actually it was headstamped W-W 30 LUGER.

I wonder if this is where Jones (SSK Industries) got the idea for the 7.63 Mini-Whisper and 7.62 Micro-Whisper? Do you know what bullet weights were used in these cartridges?

Another intriguing post, by the way.

Schneider,

Is it possible to repost the image as it seems to have disappeared.

joe

Joe, I believe that Schneider is no longer with us; that he passed away. One of the sad things about the picture situation on the Forum is that the pictures can be lost from the archive due to something cancelling them out of the web site they are actually posted on, and when they are dropped from that, they evidently disappear from our threads as well. I don’t completely understand why that once they are posted to our Forum, they aren’t there forever, but I know that the way pictures are put into this Forum is evidently the best they can do with it.

John, the images are getting uploaded elsewhere and we here see only the links to them (though they display “like normal” they are not hosted on this forum - I guess it is a question of costs for the IAA).
Means once that other site goes down or an account of a person is cancelled (or a person is deleting them) all the images are gone too, no matter where they were linked to.

Joe, if the forum’s administrators approve it, I can repost all three images and fix this thread.

Reposting the missing photos originally posted by “Schneider”:

Regana%2C%20b

Regana%2C%20c

Some more Regaña - C-90

Vitor,

Thanks for posting the excellent photos.

Brian

Thanks!

Thanks all… I never received notification. An ongoing problem I though was fixed for me. Glad I stumbled across this again.

Joe