Rem-umc 44xl

This looks like a close relative of M12 .45ACP paper capsule survival cartridge of WWII. But I think it is not military. Am I wrong? What purpose did this cartridge bear?

I believe this is a shot cartridge, probably intended for smooth bore guns like the shot barrel on the Marble’s Gamegetter firearm. The gamegetter was in a form that today would be called a survival rifle - kind of a long-barrelled pistol with a folding stock. They came in a couple of barrel lengths. In Europe, some would probably call it a “Poacher’s gun.” At any rate, there are variants of the gun - they were made for some time. I think the original purpose was simply as a convenient little short-range small-game gun. The cartridge is essentially the same as the .44-40 Winchester, although perhaps not identical, I am just not sure.

Vlad

You’ll find those 44XL shot cartridges with a variety of different colored shot capsules. Red, green, yellow, etc. I assume they signify different shot sizes or weights?? CL is the same as the 44-40 although the long shot capsules would prevent them from being chambered in most revolvers. You’ll also find many of the “extended case” shot cartridges that look exactly like the M15 45 ACP case that you asked about on another thread, only in 44 caliber, and shot cartridges with a wooden capsule.

The “Game Getter” first appeared in 1908 and was double barreled. The top barrel fired the 22 RF and the bottom barrel the 44 shot or round-ball cartridge.

Such a firearm, today, with its short barrel, smoothbore, attachable stock, etc, would be illegal. Times have changed.

Ray

I beleive the Marble’s Gamegetter gun was originaly intended as an easily back-packed gun for trappers to use mostly in killing animals caught in their traps, not for suvival.
Marbles was primarily a company that made trapping equipment, such as skinning knives, pelt drying racks, traps, etc. and hunting supplies in Northern Michigan.

Ray - they might be illegal in some states, and if the shorter-barreled model, illegal Federally. However, they made an 18" version that is quite legal most places. Don’t know in California anymore. Despite being a Curio and Relic, which California generally recognizes, it might be termed an “Assault Rifle” because of the pistol grip and folding stock, as ludicrous as that sounds (and is!).

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]Times have changed.[/quote] And not for the better.

[quote=“JohnMoss”]Despite being a Curio and Relic, which California generally recognizes, it might be termed an “Assault Rifle” because of the pistol grip and folding stock, as ludicrous as that sounds (and is!).[/quote] With airheads like pelosi, boxer and feinstein, “ludicrous” is the normal state of affairs.