REM-UMC 8mm Tracer

I am in the process of going through my duplicates and rearranging my collection. I noticed these tracers (I think) have a two tone tip. Is this of any significance?

Does anybody have a scan of the proper box label for these rounds? I would sure like to see one. I have one for the FMJ ball round but not the tracer.

Point of curiosity

I don’t know any details, but the cracking bullet is probably the result of moisture in the case, being absorbed by the tracer element, then swelling. WAG.

Rick

I had a whole box of 50 .45 ACP tracers that did the same, splitting not only the bullet jacket, but also the case.

I would be suspicious that these commercially headstamped cartridge cases have been reloaded with military tracers. Also, I have not seen that two tone red tip before, but the fact that they are swelling and splitting would indicate they actually are tracers, rather than having been painted by someone to resemble tracers.

The bullet jacket splitting is from swelling of the tracer compound. I don’t know the scientific aspects of it, but know it does happen, as the others have said better than I. I have notice the same thing in the .45 and .30 Carbine flare cartridges made by National Fireworks Inc. during WWII - of course I imagine it takes less pressure to crack the plastic “bullet” of those rounds than to crack a GM or GMCS bullet jacket.

I am pretty sure those tracers are original and from Remington as tracers. They made the military type round (FMJ Spitzer bullet) in ball and dummy, as well as blanks that may or may not have been for the same contract. I think the tracers go right in with that grouping. I was never able to find the tracer round when they were still legal for me to have, but have seen some at Woodin Laboratory, as well as what is reported here.

The thing that makes me question whether this is a factory load is the lack of a mouth crimp. It actually appears to be belled just a bit at the mouth.

Guy

The crimps varying from one cartridge to the next suggests that they are reloaded. I think the light crimps are what is left of the original crimp.
Is that the box they were in? I believe the white boxes were used for special lots, so that just adds to the mystery. If this is the original box, why does the labeling mention only the metal cases bullet and not that they are tracers?

The box is for the GM FMJ ball round. It was shown just to verify that Remington did load military bullets in commercial cases. I have never seen a tracer box. I was hoping someone had one.