Rem-UMC blanks

These blanks are wood-tipped, and are suffering from some corrosion. Can anyone comment on what firearms they would be used in and why UMC would make blanks for what seems to be commercial arms? I’ve never run across a .38 Short before, and have only seen the Solid Head mark on 45-70 UMC’s.
Thanks very much, lee

These are shot cartridges. The sabot ( wood, hollow container ) holds small shot with which to hunt small game and birds with a rifle or revolver. M.Rea

Lee–These are not blanks. They are Shot loads using the U.M.C. wood sabot. U.M.C. owned the patent (Mason Patent) to this design. U.M.C. sold these shot loads in just about every pistol, revolver and rifle caliber, including Rimfires, they made. Any caliber they did not list normally in their catalog could be special ordered as could blanks in any caliber wanted. The purpose of the shot loads was to allow the same gun to used to kill rattle snakes or rabbits, etc with out wasting a bulleted load while big game hunting.

Ron
You’d have to be really, really quick to be able to unload that bulleted cartridge and quickly reload with a shot cartridge (which is probably at the bottom of one of your pockets somewhere) and kill that rattlesnake before it bit ya…:) May be quicker to just bash it’s head in with the rifle butt.

Roger–You may be right, but if I was walking, or more likely riding my horse, in an area where a rattlesnake might be encountered, I think I would be more likely to start out with a shot load already in my gun, especially a revolver, than bulleted rounds. If you saw larger game that required a bullet you would probably have plunty of time to change to that load as you would most likely need to stalk the antelope or deer to get a shot at it.

Living, as I do, in rattlesnake country, I’ve found that a walking stick, such as an old broom handle, is much better anti-snake protection than any handgun or rifle.

I’m not particularly fond of PETA, but shooting a snake should be a last resort.

JMHO

Ray

Ray–I totally agree with you about not indiscriminately killing snakes, or any other animals. I have spent a lot of time in desert regions and have seen hundreds of Rattlesnakes and never found a need to kill one. Just being aware of your surroundings is normally enough to avoid any danger. The closest I ever came to being bitten was once when I was doing some rock climbing and reached up to a ledge to pull myself up. As I placed my hand on the ledge I heard the characteristic rattle. The snake did strike my hand, but it was my lucky day. Many people do not realize that most poisonous snakes can adjust how much, if any, venom they want to waste on a threat. Evidently that snake did not view me as much of a threat, most likely because all it saw was my hand (the rest of me being below the ledge), and it was a “dry” strike without any venom being injected. But, it sure as hell scared me down from my climb in a hurry.