Rem-UMC No.10 Arrow shell

This high brass shot shell has a “Remington-UMC” bas-relief on the upper (away from primer) edge of the brass. Some letters appear to exceed cartridge body dimentions, and probably sometimes during production went well above cartridge width. Was this ever a problem in terms of scratching inside of shotgun’s barrel?

I have read this post several times, trying to understand what it is that you are asking and I must admit, I am confused.

“Some letters appear to exceed cartridge body dimentions… went well above cartridge width.” This is confusing to me when you show an on-end view of the head and of the mouth of the case. In neither do I see anything extending outward, in regard to width, which would effect the inside of the weapons barrel. Without going into detail of the weapons construction and function, which I understand to be outside the realm of this forum, I will simply say; “No, nothing that I see!”

Chief

Chief…

I also read it several times and wonder if Vlad means the “REMINGTON-UMC” that encircles the brass head at it’s middle or upper end…?

Randy

Vlad
the reason for this form of crimp, and although fancy, that is all it is, Is that without a crimp of some kind {Winchester used rings, USCCo used slashes, Austin used a small single punch crimp} the brass head would often separate from the paper body when it was fired leaving the paper tube in the chamber & thus prevent quick re-use of the gun. Gun companies would supply broken case extractors with the gun or were found as an aftermarket product. & are now a collectible in their own right. I think Winchester was the first to overcome this ca 1885 (off the top of my head date so likely incorrect.)
When new this crimp didn’t change dimensions or scratch chambers. Your example may be swollen, of trod on by an elephant or perhaps a big footed flea & now out-of-round, as to why you now see this problem.
A pinfire above a CF

Sorry to confuse everyone. Here is another photo. I am asking if these letters ,“Remington-UMC” running around the entire circumference, sometimes scratch the inside of the barrel when inserted under slight angle. I observe shotgun shooters at the range and how protective they are of their expensive guns. You can actually see the letters over the right side silouette in the photo, ever so slightly.

Ahh, now I understand. Pete had me thinking and I took a look at about 2 dozen Remington and Rem-UMC shells I have marked this way. Most are stamped letters but I had to go back to a Nitro Club to find the apparently raised letters. They appear that way because of the crimped area. I ran a mic over the head and the letters, all the same on my example. As Pete said, maybe something happened to your example to extend some of the letters.

Brass does not scratch steel, so there should not have been any worry about the raised lettering on the sides of the heads damaging the chamber of a shotgun.