Remington 10g yacht black powder blanks

I am told these go into some special signal cannons. I understand using black powder to get a cloud of smoke, but isn’t it easier to just use a shotgun to fire these?

Vlad–Yes, a shotgun COULD be used, but it would not be as loud as the Yacht Cannon’s, nor as much fun. These Remington 10 ga. Blanks are the last of a long line of “Yacht Cannon” loads. U.M.C. first listed special loads for Yacht Cannons in their 1887 catalog where they list 3 1/2 x 1 1/2 and 5 x 1 1/2 inch in both Loaded and N.P.E. By their 1910 (last) catalog they listed “Yacht Cannon” loads in 4,8,10,12,14,16 & 20 ga. as well as the the above mentioned 1 1/2 inch loads plus a No. 2 (4 7/8 x 1 5/8) and No. 3 (4 1/4 x 1 1/4).

For many years Winchester marketed miniature cannons in all these sizes. The cannons were about 18 inches long by 12 inches high. I think the original purpose was to alert Harbor Masters when the boats were entering the harbor, but soon evolved as “starter” cannons for yacht races and as novelty items.

Those cartridges are 10 bore, not 12.

gravelbelly

Dave–You are right. I have edited my post to correct my typo.

Used to use those in the 10ga saluting canon at Boy Scout Camp Tahosa in Colorado to sound evening colors. The sound would roll over the lake for what seemed like forever. Cheers, Bruce.

Vlad
I’m not 100% sure those shells are correct for that box.

All of that particular box that I’m aware of, held dark green all-plastic shells, headstamped with an impressed REMINGTON 10 EXPRESS GA., a white topwad rubber stamped “10 GA. BLANK”, with the only metal in the shell, the primer and it’s battery cup.

Other variations of the shell I’m aware of are; an unheadstamped dark green and a headstamped but in a very nice light green color.

However I could be wrong, but the box does say plastic bodies.

Also there are a couple of variations to that box, which is notwithstanding the above, still a good box.

It’s been years since my Dad had one of these, allegedly used to “return the salute” of boats who came up the river.

But, there are places where an actual shotgun or other FIREARM would not be morally or legally accepted, but the signal cannon sat there, out in the open, unsecured, etc. as it was NOT considered a firearm, but more like a coach’s “starter pistol.”

Just my input.

Taber