Remington .22 Short rimfire question

I have a few boxes of Remington Kleanbore Shorts with a SKU of 4322. My digging so far tells me that these were an “intermediate” velocity post-war load dating from 1946 but are not listed in the 1948 Remington catalog.

The box has two codes applied with what appears to be a rubber stamp. The first stamp is “1042”. The “1” is the longest (in height) digit. The 0 and the 2 are almost but not quite as tall. The 4 is a smaller figure and appears to me to be almost a different font.

The second code is something like “R11E1” but might be two codes stamped one on top of the other. The heights of the numbers vary. My guess is that both sets of stamps were applied with a hand stamper with characters on a series of movable rubber belts.

I got these and several other types of Shorts from a man (since passed away) who was at one time a serious competitor in the ISU/Olympic Rapid Fire Pistol match game. I asked him where I might find shootable quantities of RFP Shorts to test. He said “in my garage”.

My questions are “Is there any story that accompanies this particular load?” and “Was their intended use anything other than plinking?” and “Is this box or the cartridges in it of any particular interest to collectors?”

About all I can tell you is that the R in the code would indicate loading in 1948, if other indications suggest loading around that period. Can you provide pictures of the box? I don’t believe that I ever heard of an intermediate velocity loading. My experience with chronographing .22 Short standard velocity loads in an Olympic RF pistol is that average MVs vary widely among different manufacturers.

Waterman,

From Remington Dealer’s Price Lists:

1939 R11H HI-SKOR Intermediate Velocity
1940 and 1941 R12 New and Improved Intermediate Velocity
1942 R12 Medium Power - Target Speed
1946 and 1947 4322 “KLEANBORE” Medium Velocity

The 1938 Retail Catalog shows a HI-SKOR .22 Short (no product code indicated) with a velocity of 1,080 fps and the Standard Velocity and High Velocity .22 Shorts at 970 and 1,130 fps respectively.

If the boxes are in nice condition, they may be of interest to collectors and new rimfire ammunition is not as hard to find these days, though I’m not sure if anyone is making a product with a similar velocity.

Dave

My thanks to DennisK and DaveE for the help. I started my investigation of Shorts after (a) being possessed of two Winchester Winder Muskets fitted with external adjusting target telescopic sights, and (b) seeing the old Peters advertisements circa 1905-1912 for their Shorts loaded with King’s Semi-Smokeless. The Peters adverts listed the scores fired in offhand (standing) position indoor rifle matches at 25 yards distance. The scores are easily verified. Identical targets are available, as the matches are still held. My question was “are the Shorts currently in production as accurate as those in the Peters adverts?” After testing the readily available types, I went in search of the old ISU/Olympic stuff. At the same time, I was loaned a nearly-new Stevens-Pope Schuetzen target rifle with a gain-twist, choke-bored 28" long barrel. Same scope as before. I built a copy of an old-time machine rest (steep learning curve). I fired 28 shots from a box of this stuff for record, chronographing each shot. W/ chrono at 10 feet, velocity from 14 shots averaged 966 fps. Moved chrono to 5 feet. velocity from next 14 shots averaged 1031 fps. Firing was 2-shot groups. Widest spread at 25 yards was 5.5". This stuff is worth more to collectors than it is to serious researchers. But I wonder if it was ever very good? Why did it disappear from the Remington catalogs after such a short time?

I have a photo of the boxes, If anyone would like a photo, PM me with an e-mail address. I will send a photo as an attachment. I also pulled 4 ctgs apart, A description of the contents is available on request.