Remington 38 Special Metal Penetrating

.38 Special Remington Hi-way Master 110 gr Metal Penetrating, High-speed, headstamp REM/UMC/38SPL

Another nice section, thanks for that. It seems to me that it would have been intended as an anti car duty carry load. Given the type of cars that were around in those days, would it have been up to the job? Could it actually have penetrated to the vitals of a big old Buick for example?

I would guess that the fact that it isn’t still in production would go some way to answering that question.

Over here there was a famous shooting incident in Mayfair London years ago where the police stopped a car and one of the officers fired several shots with a .38 Spec at the tyres but failed to burst them from point blank range. Another officer fired at the driver’s head through the side window and all he got were fragments in the head and was out of hospital the next day. Its just as well they didn’t kill him because it was a case of mistaken identity and the driver was totally innocent. He just happened to be driving the wrong make and model of car in the wrong place at the wrong time.
But it goes to show how marginal the .38 Spec is in these situations.

Wolf

What is that bullet made of? It looks to be a lot heavier than 110 grains.

Ray

I recall an old one page Guns & Ammo article that reported that it was some type of hardened zinc alloy. I’m in Reno right now and don’t have access to the article at the moment.

Ray,

I think Ron posted the 1949 Rem. catalog image in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6364

Used for stopping bandit cars…

Don’t know what the actual material is but they are light and maybe Wolf can tell us as he likely made some sparks with it!

Dave

Man, I must be getting old. I re-read that old thread and only remember it vaguely even though it was only 14 months ago.

It looks like we talked all around that 110 grain bullet but never did get to the details of what it was made of. Hopefully Wolf can put a finish to the story.

Ray

Ray–All the catalogs just say “Special Alloy”. They never say what the alloy is, but I think the bullet depends more on High Velocity and the metal jacket than the core to penetrate metal. The velocity is listed as 1330 FPS, compared to 870 FPS for the standard 158 gr. .38 Spl. and 1115 FPS for the 158 gr. Hi-Speed load.

Ha, you’re asking me! You’ve been reading my posts, lucky enough that the spelling is correct with a dictionary sitting next to me. Let alone materials, caliber, where it came from, and nomenclature.

Don’t have a clue, but it did cut real easy, like lead. Must be a lead alloy. Was half thinking that someone was going to say that its just a lead headed projectile that I got ripped off for on Gunbrokers. Anywhere we can send the dust to have it tested?

Ron,

You mention jacket and core for this bullet. I had the impression the .38 Spl. Hi-Way Master 110 gr. was a one piece homogeneous projectile without a jacket. Wolf’s section looks great but am I missing something?

Anyway, the material is a bit of a mystery and maybe Leon can dig up that G&A article. Zinc would be a good guess as un-alloyed it is about 63 percent the density of lead and, if the bullet was roughly the same volume as a 158 gr. lead, 110 gr. is about a 69 percent of that.

Dave

DaveE–You may be right that it is monolithic and not jacketed. I have never sectioned one. Just know they are shiny like a cupro-nickel jacketed bullet.

It could be plated rather than jacketed to reduce friction. If it were a zinc alloy friction would be a problem. Zinc is not very friction friendly.