Remington .45 Auto Box Box Code R397A

I have this Rem. one piece box 45 Automatic R397A with a Company title I’m not familiar with, Bridgeport, Conn. Ilion, N.Y. and Kings Mills, Ohio, anyone know the date range this box was made?

While I cannot date your box precisely, not have information on Remington date codes, I can offer an approximation. Below are three Remington boxes, one the same as yours but with a different lot number that appears to be “Y01 D” although the first entry is quite blured on my box. The other two are commercial-style boxes. Note that the product code on the green boxes is R397, missing the “A” from the end of the code. These boxes, being initially for primarily domestic commercial sales, also omit any mention of the Thompson Submachine Gun from the label.

The box overstamped dummy contains cartridges that are the most help in determining the approximate era of your box, although not necessarily the precise year. The cartridges in that box are dummy rounds with a GM FMJ RN 230 Grain bullet, tinned or nickeled cases (not sure which. Not as bright as nickel normally is, but not as “grey” as the normal tinned finish) and a brass, flat primer cup with a hole in it. There is also a tiny hole below the case cannelure on the side of the case. These are military-contract dummies, headstamp R A 41 and R A 42 (Mixed about evenly in the box).

Between the contract-style of the buff box with green print, which considering the mention of the TSMG could possibly have been made for England or some other UK country, and the dated headstamps from the “DUMMY” box, it is probably safe to say that the buff box with green print is from the WWII era.

Cartridges in the respective boxes are:

R397A - GM FMJ RN 230 Grain Bullet, brass case with one cannelure, copper primer cup with a dark purple primer seal. Headstamp: REM-UMC 45 ACP. Date Code YO1 D (?)

R397 - CN FMJ RN 230 Grain Bullet, brass case with one cannelure, domed nickel primer cup with no colored seal. Headstamp: REM-UMC 45 ACP with identical font as R397A. Date Code: K 26 N 104

R397 (DUMMY overstamp) - As described in a previous paragraph above. Headstamp: R A 41 and R A 42 (mixed in same box). Date Code: G24 K 1 3 8

Bridgeport was the site of the Remington Factory, and Kings Mills was the site of the Peters factory. To this day, Remington uses the headstamp R-P (Remington-Peters) even though they have not produced in the Peters brand for some time, at least in metallic cartridges. I can’t speak for Industrial Loads or shotgun ammunition.

Hopefully, someone can date your box to the precise year from the date code.

Hello Mr. Moss

Thank for your very quick reply and the thorough information you provided. I was curious if the buff box might have been issued as part of a military contract.

Cheers, Tim

| JohnMoss
February 9 |

• | - |

While I cannot date your box precisely, not have information on Remington date codes, I can offer an approximation. Below are three Remington boxes, one the same as yours but with a different lot number that appears to be “Y01 D” although the first entry is quite blured on my box. The other two are commercial-style boxes. Note that the product code on the green boxes is R397, missing the “A” from the end of the code. These boxes, being initially for primarily domestic commercial sales, also omit any mention of the Thompson Submachine Gun from the label.

.45 REM R397 Boxes

The box overstamped dummy contains cartridges that are the most help in determining the approximate era of your box, although not necessarily the precise year. The cartridges in that box are dummy rounds with a GM FMJ RN 230 Grain bullet, tinned or nickeled cases (not sure which. Not as bright as nickel normally is, but not as “grey” as the normal tinned finish) and a brass, flat primer cup with a hole in it. There is also a tiny hole below the case cannelure on the side of the case. These are military-contract dummies, headstamp R A 41 and R A 42 (Mixed about evenly in the box).

Between the contract-style of the buff box with green print, which considering the mention of the TSMG could possibly have been made for England or some other UK country, and the dated headstamps from the “DUMMY” box, it is probably safe to say that the buff box with green print is from the WWII era.

Cartridges in the respective boxes are:

R397A - GM FMJ RN 230 Grain Bullet, brass case with one cannelure, copper primer cup with a dark purple primer seal. Headstamp: REM-UMC 45 ACP. Date Code YO1 D (?)

R397 - CN FMJ RN 230 Grain Bullet, brass case with one cannelure, domed nickel primer cup with no colored seal. Headstamp: REM-UMC 45 ACP with identical font as R397A. Date Code: K 26 N 104

R397 (DUMMY overstamp) - As described in a previous paragraph above. Headstamp: R A 41 and R A 42 (mixed in same box). Date Code: G24 K 1 3 8

Bridgeport was the site of the Remington Factory, and Kings Mills was the site of the Peters factory. To this day, Remington uses the headstamp R-P (Remington-Peters) even though they have not produced in the Peters brand for some time, at least in metallic cartridges. I can’t speak for Industrial Loads or shotgun ammunition.

Hopefully, someone can date your box to the precise year from the date code.

Y02L should indicate the 2nd day of one of the six months in the first half of 1940. The year code repeats every 11 years so could possibly also be 1951 but to me, this seems a bit late to include the “Kings Mills, Ohio” (Peters Cartridge Co.) call-out. (Remington acquired Peters in 1934). Corrections welcome.

Randy

Thanks Randy, I was thinking somewhat of a plain box and the mention of TSMG it might be circa WWII. Tim

The police and or armored car security were still using TSMG’s in the early 60’s. At least they were in Canada. Specifically in Moose Jaw Sask.

I agree with 30army that Y02L code could indicate the first half of either 1940 or 1951.

John shows three codes:
Y01D—first half of 1940
K26N—second half of 1945 or second half of 1934
G24K—Makes no sense ???

Lew

Thank you for your information. Tim

For whatever it’s worth, have the same tan box but with Y 06 L date code.

Thanks Pete, Tim

Lew - That third one may make no sense, but here it is, brought to you in living color, as they used to say in the movies or TV or something.

John Moss

John,
No question that the date code is G24K, It just doesn’t match up with any of the data I have! I suspect either my data has an error, which is of course possible, or the loading crew mis-set the stamp or perhaps, for some reason, the dummies used a slightly different code or some other reason I can’t imagine. G would indicate 1944 which makes sense for this box label.

Cheers,
Lew.

Obvious Typo corrected. This number is the day of the month!

Lew - the date code is G24K, not G34K.

John

This white box Remington R397A .45 Auto ammo has been previously discussed on the Forum. See the link below to a 2014 discussion on this ammo which indicates manufacture in 1940-41 for the British Purchasing Commission which pre-dated the Lend Lease program.

Remington white box ammunition-45ACP - General Ammunition Discussion - International Ammunition Association Web Forum (cartridgecollectors.org)

My example of this ammunition is date coded Y19E.

HTH.

Regards,
Charlie Flick
IAA Member

Y19E is the 19th day of one of the months in the first half of 1940!
So the code word has letters D, L & E. Does anyone out there have Y # letter codes on Remington boxes with other last letters?

Lew

Hi Charlie

Thanks for the heads up about the article. Tim

ordnanceguy
February 15

This white box Remington R397A .45 Auto ammo has been previously discussed on the Forum. See the link below to a 2014 discussion on this ammo which indicates manufacture in 1940-41 for the British Purchasing Commission which pre-dated the Lend Lease program.

Remington white box ammunition-45ACP - General Ammunition Discussion - International Ammunition Association Web Forum (cartridgecollectors.org)

My example of this ammunition is date coded Y19E.

HTH.

Regards,
Charlie Flick
IAA Member