Remington and Peters 22 boxes with CF on labels

I’ve come across a few Remington and Peters boxes that have “CF” and “Central Fire” on their labels but they are obviously rim fires. Does anyone know the story behind this? They seem to be around 1910-15 but I can find no reference to them in the catalogs (so far). The Peters’ box is listed in Dunn as a typo (PCC-4 LR-7), 1913. The REM/UMC is not listed in Dunn. It’s also not in the 1911-12 or 1913-14 Remington catalog as either a rimfire or a center fire. The box lists a 45gr bullet but the catalogs list a 40gr bullet for the .22 extra Long? I have no catalogs for the next few years until 1917 which has basically the same info on the Extra longs.

Roger–I don’t know about the Peters box, but the Remington box is the .22 Extra Long Maynard Model 1882 Center Fire. It has nothing to do with rimfires at all.

I couldn’t find any.22 center fires in the early Remington catalogs except the .22 Winchester Single Shot. In 1923 the .22 Savage was added. I stopped at 1925 because the boxes went to the dogbone design in 1926.

Roger–It is listed in the Condensed section at the back of the catalogs in the section for “Centerfire Revolver and Rifle Cartridges”, not in the illustrated section.

Yep, there it is, just above Velo Dog. I never think to look in the back of the catalogs in the Condensed" pages. I never figured out why there is a difference between the main listing and the condensed??

Roger–The illustrated section only lists the “More Popular Loads” while the condensed section lists all the currently available loads.

Still seems like a dumb idea to me. The word “Condensed” to me means “Less”, not “more”. If something is condensed it is smaller than the whole. To me the word should be “Complete”, but we know that there were cartridges produced that were not on either list. So I guess they were “condensing” the “complete list”. That means their “Popular” list is a condensed “condensed” list. :)

Roger–In this case “Condensed” means condensed to just part of the information shown in the illustrated section. That is, no illustration, no firearms that use the load, etc. Only the essential information is listed.