Remington Cartridge Box Markings

Hi, All…Please see photo…many early Remington cartridge boxes, say, 1915 or so on up into the late 20’s, are marked M. de F. R., usually next to the red ball UMC logo, and I make the assumption this has something to do with the logo being a registered trade mark in the Mexican Patent Office…???..meaning would be something like: Marca de Federal Registro, or in English: Mark of Federal Register…am I near home plate or way out in left field…hoping someone can provide the proper translation…Randy

Great question. And why are the letters so much larger than those in ‘REG US PAT OFF’? I’ve noticed the mark many times but have never given the much thought to what it meant. This mark continued in use with the early Remington-UMC boxes with the spit logos. I believe the split English and Spanish guarantees on the bottom labels first came into use after the merger of the two companies. Does anyone have a UMC box with one of the bilingual bottom labels?

I have lots of UMC and Remington-UMC box labels with the dual-language back label and all have the “M. de F. R.” marking at one of the Red Ball trademarks. None of the ones with an “English only” back label have it. It may stand for "Marca de la F

You know, in retrospect, I would think that if my guess was right on the meaning, that the letters should be in another order, to read "Marca Registrada de la F

John and Guy…All of my boxes are, of course, .30-40 Krag…and none of these have bi-lingual labels…but many have in addition to M. de F.r,: Marca Reg and Marque Deposee, which, I assume are Spanish and French, respectively…and, I find it interesting, that Remington was the only manufacturer, at least on Krag boxes, to use this nomenclature…Randy

BTT

[quote=“JohnMoss”]I have lots of UMC and Remington-UMC box labels with the dual-language back label and all have the “M. de F. R.” marking at one of the Red Ball trademarks. None of the ones with an “English only” back label have it. It may stand for "Marca de la F