Remington EtronX Ammunition, non-commerical production

The Remington EtronX line of commerical ammunition was only manufactured in
three calibers, .220Swift, .22-250 and .243. That production beginning in 2000 and dropped in late 2002 or early 2003.
I’m seeking any information regarding other calibers both rifle and pistol that were developed and tested.
Any info regarding EtronX in .223 REM is deeply appreciated.
Thx

Frank - I know that this ammo was made in trial lots at least, in ball, proof, and dummy, in .380 auto, 9 mm Luger, .40 S&W. I have a factory reject .380 ball round (neck torn while seating bullet) and a good specimen of .40 S&W. I have seen all three calibers with at least a couple of the dummies and proof loads as well, at a St. Louis Show. Unfortunately, I could not get them. Sorry, but I don’t know anything about the .223 version, even if it exists or not. These pistol calibers have been very elusive, and when found, are VERY expensive.

Hi Frank,

I have a 6.8 SPC and 7mm Remington Ultra Magnum.

Paul

Frank

This is anecdotal at best. I copied it from a post of a few years ago.

[i]I have to go back about 15 years for this question, maybe even longer because while I do remember the details I don’t remember exactly when it happened.

Back then I was really into competitive shooting and not so much into bullets except for comp cartridges and old wildcats. I shot all winter at the Ben Avery range north of Phoenix and became good friends with the F&G employees who ran the facility. I would always stop in the office to say hello and talk about guns because those guys were also shooters (unlike today’s bureaucrats). One day I happened to notice a big box of ammunition with the familiar Remington colors that the UPS guy had just delivered. I kidded the guys about getting free ammo from Remington, and could I have some too? They said it wasn’t for them but was for some FBI types who were coming in to test some new rifles. The boxes were marked 223 Remington so I assumed the FBI was going to test some AR 15s or M16s. Then I noticed that the boxes also said “Electronic” or something like that. We looked at them closer and they were electric primed, what would later become the EtronX cartridges for the new M700 rifle. Not really having much interest in stuff like that at the time I didn’t liberate either a box or a single cartridge.

A few years later when Remington publicly announced the new rifle and ammunition I noted that it was offered in 22-250, 243W, and 220 Swift, but not 223 Remington.

So to get to my question. Has anyone ever seen one of these 223 EtronX cartridges? [/i]

And that’s all I know about it.

Ray

Ok, I.ll bite. How would I know if I had a round from that line…as I look at Paul’s proofs and they could be laying in my prof drawer and I would be clueless about their oddity

Presume it the priming…“electric” ?

Hi Pepper
yes the primers are electric, they have the odd two-piece construction with an insulator between the two visible pieces.
These seemed to hit the market for just a short time & as probably not accepted for the obvious reasons (to us & others) & with a lack of firearms sales, gone awaaaay!

Hi Frank
I’ve not sen them in .223 but the primers were sold separately to re-loaders
This is the only packet I have & haven’t seen other sizes offered to the public, however they might well have offered small rifle, I just haven’t seen them.

I have in my collection “Two” .223 Rem EtronX rounds. These both have the complete R-P 223 EtroX h/s and not just R-P 223 REM with an EtronX primer installed.
I have had one that has a fmj bullet for over a year and recently picked up another at the Prescott Show which has a short, green poly tipped bullet which I belive is 40 gr.
Sure could use info if it exists.

Franck, you may want to check this earlier thread for more information: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9319

There is also a dummy variation of the .223 EtronX Ballistic Tip loading with blackened case and pierced primer.

Sorry Friends, just for fun… linguists at the big ammo factories’marketing departments should be a little more cautious about naming their products… as in French, ETRON means exactly…$HIT !!!

So marketing EtronX ammo in French speaking countries could have obviously created some problems…

Phil.

Amazing!

Often we see the same product (any type) being marketed in different countries under different names. Certainly language and cultural background do matter. I think there were also cases where this went unobserved and the product flopped on a particular market. Certainly a subject for a lengthy and amazig book.

Said this I recall that the Mitsubishi “Pajero” had a different name on the Spanish market as the name in Spanish applies to a variety of political incorrect expressions.

And, don’t forget the ever popular Swedish 7.62x51 SK ptr 10 prick.

[quote=“EOD”]
Often we see the same product (any type) being marketed in different countries under different names. Certainly language and cultural background do matter. I think there were also cases where this went unobserved and the product flopped on a particular market. Certainly a subject for a lengthy and amazig book.

Said this I recall that the Mitsubishi “Pajero” had a different name on the Spanish market as the name in Spanish applies to a variety of political incorrect expressions.[/quote]

Car manufacturers nowadays check carefully to ensure that any proposed new car names have no undesirable meanings in any language!

One example I recall from the past was the FIAT Panda, which was originally to be called the Rustica. It was then realised that this wouldn’t sound too good in English-speaking countries, especially given the firm’s reputation at that time for making cars which rusted away rather rapidly…