Remington "R-P 30-06 SPRG" Accelerator

I got this full “box” without a box. May someone post a corresponding box so I’ll know what I am missing? And maybe get an empty box later. And why was it discontinued? Just because the regular stuff works as well?

The insider packing from the cartridges looks a little diferent

Rgds

1 Like

Thanks, probably easy to find an empty box. Maybe at SLICS, in a discount bin?

Both trays are correct and used at different times. Last listed in the 2017 catalog.

Regards,

Fede

1 Like

I have no idea how true it is, but the story back in the day (late 70s?) was that the law enforcement community was unhappy with the lack of forensics left on the projectile after firing. Following that they disappeared for a long time, at least regionally. It wasn’t long afterward that SLAP started showing up on the military side. Well covered by other threads.

1 Like

I believe Remington developed their Accelerator bullets from work they did for the USAF Armament Lab at Eglin AFB. The original project were for a .22 selective fire survival weapon for aircrew. somewhere between 5 & 10 guns were made as I recollect. One was rebarrelled to .30 caliber for use with a silencer and tested in three different case designs. The original ammunition was the .221 fireball case loaded with standard 5,56mm ball and tracer in 15rd clips (I think—or maybe 20?) with 3 or 4 unmarked tracers in each clip!
https://www.guns.com/news/2019/06/24/historical-military-survival-rifles-the-ultimate-backpack-guns
In an effort to cut the weight of the ammunition, Remington was contracted to develop a low weight plastic case with a steel head and a low weight .17 caliber bullet in a .223 plastic sabot. The program began in the late 1960s and was over before I got to Eglin in the late 1970s. Most of the guns went to the Smithsonian when Ed Ezell was at the Smithsonian. He saved them from being destroyed, including the .30 caliber weapon.

Neither the gun nor the ammunition ever went beyond the test stage, but Remington was paid a good amount of USAF $'s to develop the Accelerator concept which they subsequently introduced into their line of commercial ammunition.

I probably still have some of the rounds, but a quick look in the shed didn’t turn them up. If I find them I will post them. Things are a bit hectic just now.

Cheers,
Lew

1 Like

As far as Germany is concerned, Accelerator cartridges were outlawed shortly after introduction here with exactly the forensic reason you mention. No barrel marks on the bullet was equalled to perfect ammunition for criminals.
Test (while it was legal) showed dispersion being between 1.4 and 2 times the dispersion of conventional Remington cartridges (at the time, Remington still made very good ammunition). The large dispersion is in my view the real shortcoming of Accelerator ammunition.

1 Like

I agree completely. While I’ve never shot any .30-'06 Accelerators - I’ve fired well over 120 in 7.62x51 and 7.62x40 rifles. 10 shot groups at 100 yards would typically have 6~7 bullets in a 2 inch group, with flyers out to 4~5 inches. Not exactly “precision” ammunition for any purpose - but still “minute of man”… but then, what is the point?

Photo of one in a 7.62x40:

1 Like

I will second the notion that poor accuracy is what failed to make these cartridges a success. As I understand it the Accelerators were intended to allow a hunter to use their “deer rifle” to shoot varmints or smaller game, but were not accurate enough in that role.

1 Like

Lew, You sent me one. (17/.221), Here is a picture from Daan’s site.
https://www.cartridgecollector.net/17221-imp

Dan

1 Like

Thanks Dan!

I was a prolific user of .30-06 Accelerators. With due respect to our learned colleagues in this thread, their accuracy was very good in my experience. It may be the old story of some rifles liking certain ammunition (barrel length, twist, etc.; performance of the sabots, wind) and others not. I would tune up my old Parker Hale rifle before every varmint season. Accelerators held their trajectory year after year and consistently achieved one-shot success on groundhogs out to +250 metres.

There were a couple curious features with the Remington packaging. The boxes I bought back in the day all had hard black PVC “clamshell” trays similar to that shown in sksvlad’s picture, not styrofoam. The tray halves were higher in the middle than at the outer edges.

The Remington box printing fonts differed. Some used upper case lettering, others lower case. Finally, I bought Accelerators on both sides of the border. Even the boxes purchased in the US bore bilingual English and French information. On this last point, was the English and French printing common on other Remington rifle ammunition distributed in the US in the 1990-2000 period?

Used to use them for coyotes from my sporterized 03-A3; adequate (‘minute-of-animal’) accuracy out to 150yds from that rig. Terminal performance very much in line with .243, .22.250, etc, as you might expect.

During the Malvo ‘sniper’ incidents, I had convos with investigators very early on and some had commented on lack of sufficient markings on recovered pills for NIBIN and other examination. I mentioned sabots/Accelerators, and none of those kids had any idea what I was talking about except the ‘sabot slugs’ from a scifi flick. The cartridge/platform was of course determined not too long afterwards.

I also used the Accelerators in .30-30 but accuracy was not adequate. I pulled and reloaded some of the stuff but never went very far with it. It was instrumental in our .22-.50 Toolman experiment.

sksvlad I’ll look and if still have a factory box in decent condition I’ll be happy to send it to you.

1 Like

After almost 3 weeks, I’m amazed no one has asked about the bullet in the 7.62x40 photo posted. Either curiosity is lower than expected, or insight is much higher! LOL… ;-)

1 Like

I personally never heard of 7.62x40. Is it military experimental?

1 Like

Vlad, there are at least three 7.62x40mm military experimental cartridges that predate the 7.62x40mm WT.

Russian 7.62x40mm:
https://popgun.ru/viewtopic.php?f=281&t=257424&start=90

Google translation:
"

There you have it, sir, some more thought-provoking material. Articles are scanned from the magazine “Soldier of Fortune” N 10 for 1995 and N 8 for 1998. Small pictures - from the same magazine N 4 for 1997 and N 11 for 1996. It tells about the work carried out in the USSR on cartridges of 6.75 mm caliber and the new single cartridge of 7.62 mm caliber (it is indicated there as 7.62x41 or 7.62x40 mm, depending on the author of the article, Bortsov or Dvoryaninov). By the way, the appearance of the 7.62x40 cartridge looks very much like Grendel with its elongated bullet (in small pictures, in the picture in the article, his bullet is planted deeper into the sleeve, and it feels like there is not even a cartridge in the picture, but just a sleeve with an inserted into her bullet).
Sincerely. Stvolyar."

Spanish 7.62 x 40mm CETME Experimental or some list it as the 7.62x41mm CETME

Lastly the 7.62x40mm by IWK-NWM

Also discussed here:

2 Likes

As the Wikipedia advertisement for Wilson Combat makes passing reference to - Wilson simply took Kurt Burchet’s 7.62x40 wildcat design, made a couple 0.001-3 inch changes to the specs, and mass produced barrels under their name. However, marketing aside, the 7.62x40 is probably THE most versatile and capable of the wildcats using standard 5.56x45mm/.223 Rem brass and standard AR15/M16/M4 components with just a barrel exchange. A 125gr polymer tipped boat-tail bonded hunting bullet (Nosler Accubond) has over 900 foot-pounds (1232.4 joules) of energy at 325 yards (279.2 meters) from a 16" carbine barrel.

1 Like