Remington Remilion

I have here a loaded shotshell from Remington UMC which says Remilion.
It has a red paper case and the topwad reads Remington 5 Smokeless
I know it is for export , but can anybody tell me something more?
Like when, and export to where?
Is it a rare item?

any info is apreciated.

regards rené

Remilion== Remington Ilion NY
(Factory and headquarters).
The “No. 12” as the gauge descriptor, and the "Remington -UMC put the cartridge in the before-WW I-1920s era, when the combined name was used, and when 12 Gauge was still referred to as “No. 12.” (both in the USA and more so in England and the Continent.)

Others more expert will have a better Time estimation for this cartridge’s production period.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

Hello DocAv,

Many thanks for the info. Now I know where the name comes from. And also an estemated period.

Any more info is much apprceciated.

Regards rené

Would seem Remilion is a contraction for Remington Ilion (New York). I guess this is what you describe as a combined name? I have not seen this designation before. I’d think it dates from the immediate pre-WWI period, but no earlier than 1912. Any reason to believe it was made for export?

[quote=“DocAV”]Remilion== Remington Ilion NY
(Factory and headquarters).
The “No. 12” as the gauge descriptor, and the "Remington -UMC put the cartridge in the before-WW I-1920s era, when the combined name was used, and when 12 Gauge was still referred to as “No. 12.” (both in the USA and more so in England and the Continent.)

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.[/quote]

N° Rem-Umc 12 (+ something) was in use till at least 1941
jp

The “Remilion” trademark was registered on December 18, 1913 by Marcellus Hartley Page trading as Remington Arms-Union Metallic Cartridge Company, St. Stephen’s House, Victoria Embankment, Westminster, London, SW.

This cartridge was loaded with “Remilion” smokeless powder at the Remington’s English loading factory in Brimsdown (Remington UMC Works, Brimsdown). It was replaced by the Remington brand by no later than September 1915.

This is an scarce cartridge that it is probably easier to find in Australia or New Zeland.

Hi Fede.
And others, many thanks for the info.
That is some good information, so it is around 95 years old.

Again thanks for all help.
René