Remington-UMC Arrow 12 Gauge Shot Shell

I am trying to get some information on this Remington-UMC 12 gauge 00 buck shot shell. I purchased a small quantity from a gentleman who claims they were used by the U.S. Military during WW2 prior to the adoption of the M19 all brass case round for trench and riot shotguns. From what I have been able to find, the Arrow line started in the early 1900s and was around until about the late 1940s. Can anyone shed any light on this ammunition? I can only post one photo, but the head stamp reads Rem-UMC/ No.12 / Arrow and the tip says Remington 00 Buck . I would be happy to share photos off the forum.

Hello, welcome to the forum. If the primer is covered with red lacquer the answer is yes, you have a “U. S. Property” military issue shotshell.

Regards,

Fede

Yes, in fact it is covered with red lacquer. May I inquire as to the basis of your opinion? Thanks.

Remington Arrow 00 Buck loads with sealed primers are found in this box:

That is helpful. However, was this round issued commercially without red lacquer on the primer? In other words, is it the red lacquer that denotes military usage.

Yes, the Arrow Kleanbore brand 00 Buck load also exist as a sporting shotshell without primer sealant and packed in boxes not marked “U.S. Property”. As a general rule, a sealed primer detones a shotshell made for military use, but not all military cartridges from WW2 have it, which means that some loads can’t be identified once taken out of the box.

gap,

Welcome to the forum.

I’ve had a half full box just as Fede shows for many years with the same red primer sealed shells as your topic shell. As far as the time frame for mine, the stamped code is “B29D 41 1857N”. The “41” may be a flat out statement of year of manufacture but the “B29D” part I think means second half of 1941, regardless.

Looking at the catalogs in the excellent IAA Reference collection it seems the “10A” part of “10A-DMX-00BUCK” on the box indicates an Arrow Kleanbore load of 3-1/2 Drams Equivalent powder under a 1-1/8 oz. shot charge with a 2-3/4" shell (many standard shot sizes listed but you could get what ever you wanted). “DMX” would be DuPont’s MX shotgun powder.

Perhaps Fede or others can share codes on their boxes to get a feel for the time range these were issued?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Mine is also from the 2nd half of 1941. Full code is “B22D41 1857N”.

Regards,

Fede

Thanks for your help guys. I appreciate it.

I put this together for the Western States Cartridge Collectors newsletter awhile back.

Excellent! Thank you sir.

If anyone is interested, I have a small quantity of these shells in similar condition that are excess to my needs. I can’t post yet on the classified section (not enough posts?) but feel free to reach out to me via private message for details. .

Arrow paper-cased shells (at least those I have) were lacquered to provide waterproofing, the idea being to accommodate waterfowl hunters who hunt in wet conditions. One of the problems with paper-cased shells is that they tend to swell when they get wet, creating functioning problems. That is why the military preferred all brass shells for combat use. I’d suspect the military use of Arrow shells was to minimize the swelling problem associated with paper-cased shells. Quite a long time ago I also had a full box of Remington Arrow 00 Buck shells with U. S. military markings. I don’t remember if they had sealed primers or not. At present I have just a few single shell Arrow specimens (12 gauge) which do not have sealed primers but do have lacquered paper cases.

After plastic cases came along, there was no longer any need for the military to continue use of brass-cased shotshells. I understand some brass-cased shotshells remained in military use throughout the Vietnam era.