Removing tape from boxes

Sometime back, someone told of a method to remove modern transparent tape from boxes without destroying printing or changing the color of the box. I can’t seem to find it with a search. Does anybody remember who it was or what they recommended. Not old Scotch cellophane tape but the new 3M stuff.

Ray

Most modern pressure sensitive tapes can be removed by warming them with a heat gun (or hairdrier set on hi).

Ray,
One method I use is to heat the box with a hair drier, though this does tend to leave the sticky stuff on the box when the tape is pulled of. It does allow the tape to be removed without pulling off parts of the label. I usually can remove the sticky with denatured alcohol.

Thanks Joe and Guy. Looks like heat it is. Into the microwave they go.

Only kidding!! Sorta. I once thought that a short zap in the microwave would possibly accomplish wonders for those old oil soaked, taped up boxes that we all have so I took one that was expendable and tried it. I’m here to tell you that it didn’t work. Before I could say “Holy Smoke” it burned a couple of holes right thru the cardboard and the smell was unbelievable. The bride didn’t forgive me for a long time for that stunt.

Ray

Ray…Lighter Fluid…been using it for years…needs to soak long enough to dissolve all the glue on the tape…but takes 'er right off, completely evaporates, and does not affect box coloring or lettering…Randy

Randy

Thanks. Now that I think about it, you were the one who recommended that in the first place. I have to keep notes!

Ray