Researching US Federal Govt ammo procurement

Have you been wondering about a US government contract for ammo?

US Law requires the federal government be open with all it’s contracting actions. This is done through a website called Fedbizops.

This public access website is used to announce the governments intentions to award a contract, then they will release the contract requirements and finally they announce who they awarded it to.

You can find this information by going to Fedbizops/opportunities https://www.fbo.gov/?s=main&mode=list&tab=list which today lists about 27,000 contracts the federal government is actively considering letting. Go to advanced search and under NAICS code search small arms ammunition or use code 332992. Today this brings up 51 active notices related to small arms ammunition.

The notices include 9mm, 38 Special and 40 S&W for Homeland Security, 38 Special for the USAF, 9mm for the DOJ Prison Service, 12 ga ammo for Navy EOD, Ammo for the Wildlife Service, 50 Browning short range training ammunition, 300 Win Mag for the Secret Service, PGU-40/B 20mm dummy cartridges, 40S&W Frangible, “AK-47 Ammunition” for the AF Mobility Command, 45ACP for the Marines and “AK47-training-munition-simunitions” for the Special Ops folks.

To show you the detail available on some of these I picked the second one which is 9mm and 38 special ammunition for Homeland Security originally listed on 9 May 11 and looked at the 9mm Statement of Work from the list on the right hand side of the page.

The title is:

Quote:
STATEMENT OF WORK FOR
9MM LUGER or 9MM LUGER +P CALIBER AMMUNITION (124 GRAIN)
Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)

The scope of the contract is as follows:

Quote:
1.0 SCOPE
The scope of this contract is for 2,950,000 rounds of 9mm Luger or 9mm Luger +P Caliber Ammunition (124 Grain) per year for one base year plus four option years, delivered to numerous Department of Homeland Security (DHS) component locations nationwide including those in the continental U.S., Alaska, Hawaii, Guam, the Northern Marianna Islands, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. This Statement of Work delineates ammunition performance criteria and testing to be used for the evaluation of duty ammunition.

Later it tells the bidders that they need to submit a Solicitation Test Sample (Bid Sample) of 6000 rounds and may submit two different loads with their bid. It also establishes the First Article test sample at 6000 rounds and the Lot acceptance sample at 3000 rounds.

The headstamp requirement is:

Quote:
Cartridge Marking. Cartridges shall be head stamped with the manufacturer’s symbol/initials, cartridge designation, and a two digit year of manufacture.

Eventually there will be an announcement on Fedbizops telling you who won the contract. There may also be an announcement telling you who is bidding on the contract (and therefore make 6000 rounds for the bid sample).

The next acquisition listed doesn’t indicate the caliber in the title but it is an AF contract for over 500K of 38 Special that was awarded on 26 May 11 to AXXON INTERNATIONAL LLC,1911 MIDLAND RD,ROCK HILL SC 29730-3373 which is listed on the internet as selling men’s footwear so they likely are selling ammo from a foreign supplier.

Lots of work, but lots of information available if you want to work it.

I went in and asked for all actions on small arms ammunition both archived and active that included the keyword “9mm”. Got a listing of 90 contract actions going back to 2004. Some were cancelled some awarded. Lots of stuff. Eventually I want to sort through it

A great research source if you don’t already use it. I wonder if any other countries have something similar?

Cheers,

Lew

Latest Win White label 100 round Target 9x19mm 115gr FMJ

Lew, I think every civilized country has such a tender system. Just the degree of organization and published detail to non registred users is different or less.

I am looking forward to see some “AK47-training-munition-simunitions” then.

By the way, the USAF solicitation for .38 Special is for blank ammunition, used for dog training. Lackland AFB here in San Antonio is the home of the military dog training school (also for other agencies outside DoD) and they use .38 Special revolvers to get the dogs used to the sound of gunfire.

For awhile, I worked right next to the Lackland dog school kennels. A great place to work if you enjoy the sound of endless barking.

This post is originally from 2011. The quote above if for ammunition for Homeland Defense for Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Has anyone seem 9x19mm by Federal, Speer, Winchester or Remington or any other headstamps with this layout of Manufacturer code, Caliber, Two digit date?

Has anyone seen boxes that may have been from this competition?

Hope someone has some of this information? The contract would also have covered 40S&W.

Cheers,
Lew