Resin/plastic Encapsulation for Instructional Display - How To

Hi all,

I have been looking at how to create a cartridge display encapsulated in clear resin and wanted to ask advice on what is the best method to make a homemade cartridge encapsulation.
I do talks to local history societies about the local WW2 history and I also teach about the ordnance items from my collection, so an ammunition display inside a resin block would be really useful for my teaching.
Any shared methods by other members would be greatly received!

Many thanks,

Simon

I have done some experimenting embedding items in resins with mixed luck. I think the key to a professional job requires the use of a vacuum chamber. This helps to degas the resin to eliminate bubbles. I checked them out on EBAY and they are under $200 with the vacuum pump.

It would be so great to see how your ammunition embedding project goes. I always loved seeing the ones that, Weatherby makes. One thing of possible concern to consider is, depending on how much catalyst you use to activate the reaction, the resin can get extremely hot. I have no idea what tolerances ammunition can take or if there is any risk of setting a round off???

Jason

2 Likes

Jason, a basic rule should be NOT to embed any life items or anything that contains energetic materials (including primers and tracers).
Keep in mind that such items somewhen may be shipped around the world, legal situ may be different everywhere and the one valid today in your place may be different tomorrow.
Also a basic procedure is “no life items/components” in classrooms!
So normally “100% inert only” should be the rule.

2 Likes

Gosh, that vacuum chamber really would be a prober job! Yes, the pro jobs certainly have been an inspiration. I had in mind something a bit more budget friendly, I was looking at the Bay and found this clear resin, would this be something that would do the job?

I only intend to do .303 or something similarly sized.

I’m not going to put in whole live rounds (not best to do here in the UK!), but would do whole empty rounds with capped primers, so no worries with any potential self ignition.

Many thanks,

Simon

hello
there are few type of resin for include thing inside
in france the two are polyester or epoxy resin for “inclusion” (extra transparente) ,exclude the other types
don’t hesitate to choose the professional products
preferably the epoxy type ,it little less toxic than polyester and the smell is very less strong than polyester

1 Like

Acrylic is quite commonly used to embed items.

You might be able to get access to an Autoclave at a local University School of Engineering.

See 4.48/5.00

2 Likes

That was great! Thanks, Sam!

Jason

Thanks, Alex!

That makes tons of sense in many ways! So far, the only thing I have ever embedded have been infertile tortoise eggs. LOL

Jason

That’s super, and a great video which will come in useful (I always watch How It’s Made, and can’t believe I forgot about this! lol).

Many thanks for the input, chaps. Having another look on the Bay, this seems to be similar to the video.

I will have to see what I can play with.

Best regards,

Simon

1 Like