Rifle Grenades & Grenade Cartridges

Rifle grenades were packed 10 to a wooden box along with 1 carton of ten M3 (rifle) Grenade Cartridges and one carton of six M6 (Carbine) cartridges.

So, all you expurts out there, what’s with this carton of 11 Grenade cartridges?

Ray

Wet jungle , bit nervy, under fire, drop a cartridge need a spare??? Maybe a bit simple but logical.

Pro

Yep, that’s the obvious answer but, the wooden boxes are clearly marked,

1 CARTON 10 - CTG’s RIFLE GRENADE CAL.30. M3

Ray

I have a very similar box which has been opened. The 2nd “1” has been inked into a “0”. However it holds 11 cartridges.

Ray, that 11th cartridge was for shooting yourself in the foot when either your shoulder or rifle stock broke when firing an energa grenade. Those things would almost spin you around. Firing any grenade from a Carbine except from the shoulder would likely do some damage to the stock because of their weakness at the sling cut.

Gourd

Also found packed 20 to a box in the same sort of boxes used for ball, blank, etc. with no wax or other coatings.

???
We were trained to never fire grenades from the shoulder. The instruction was to take the sling around the elbow and keep the butt below the alar.

[quote=“Gourd”]Ray, that 11th cartridge was for shooting yourself in the foot when either your shoulder or rifle stock broke when firing an energa grenade. Those things would almost spin you around. Firing any grenade from a Carbine except from the shoulder would likely do some damage to the stock because of their weakness at the sling cut.

Gourd[/quote]

After seeing the demonstration I decided that as an NCO I would delegate firing grenades from any weapon to a private
soldier ;)

I believe it is so you can load it and hand it to another soldier, have him place the butt to the BACK of your shoulder and fire it to relocate your shoulder!
(I’ve never used them, I just understand they have atrocious recoil.)

Nick

I have also seen little sealed packets that contain one (or possibly two) cartridges. The packets were attached directly to the rifle grenade so there would be no possibility of a soldier grabbing a grenade and having no cartridge to fire it.

But, I have 3 of those cartons and they all contain 11 grenade cartridges.

[quote Hans]We were trained to never fire grenades from the shoulder. The instruction was to take the sling around the elbow and keep the butt below the alar.
Hans - In military jargon that’s called keeping your butt down. ;)

Ray

I think I found the answer to my question. Hidden away deep in the Web Site for the Meketa Packaging Company in Linden AZ.

They got a contract in 1941 to manufacture 1 brazillion pasteboard cartons for Frankford Arsenal. They made cutting dies, punched out the cartons and shipped them off to Frankford. Workers at Frankford began assembling the cartons for use when one of them was heard to cry out, “Oh Crap! These cartons are too big!” The Second Lt. was called in. He noted the dilemma, pondered it a while, and then said, “That’s OK. Just stamp them ‘11 Cartridges’. It will be the next Century before anybody notices.”

Ray

Ray–Tell me more about the “Merchant Packaging Company in Lansing MI.” At first I thought you were making a joke on me, Ron MERCHANT, living in LANSING. MI.

Ron

It was a joke. I hope I didn’t offend. I sure didn’t mean to.

ray

Ray–Shucks, I was hoping that one of my relatives was FAMOUS. Although I grew up in Northern Michigan (Cadillac area), I did have a whole branch of my family which lived in and around Lansing in the 1920-1950 era, so what you said COULD have been true, although I have researched my family tree for over 40 years and had never heard of that company, so I was surprised. Now, I am sad to learn it is not true. Oh well, just another lie about the Kings in my background!!! But, can I tell you about my G-G-G Uncle, the Archbishop of Canterbury?

SKS recoil of grenade vs regular cartridge
Grenade
youtube.com/watch?v=PtGwy5Hg … tube_gdata
regular
youtube.com/watch?v=-0BCXT48tTo

Hi Ray,

Here is a picture of a box in my collection.
Somebody must have told them, because my box is for only 10 cartridges

Mine is LOT: FA 109 vs your FA 85
My cartridges are HS: F A 4
What headstamp do yours have ?

Do you have a box for trade ?

cheers
René

Hans, we were tough Marines and had to fire at least 1 grenade from the shoulder to pass our grenade test :-) Seriously the normal firing position was with the Butt in the ground. we used mostly fragmentation and white phosphorus in Korea. even with the gas cylinder valve open the M-1 would open very hard and fast.

Gourd

Gourd

I’ll bet your shoulder still hurts on those cold CA nights. But, being an ex-Marine you won’t admit it.

Rene

Let me dig out my boxes and measure them to see if they’re the same size as yours. I can probably find an empty one to send you. But I want an FA 41 Match cartridge in trade. I know you have some because I’ve seen your box. ;) ;)

Ray

Ray, Ray, Ray

That’s FORMER Marine. Semper Fi, Gourd.

Thank you Ray, always willing to learn!