Rimless/grooveless case types

I have many rimless/grooveless pistol cartridge. Most of these are early like the 8 and 12mm Raphael, 11mm Pidault-Cordier, 8mm Schuler gas pistol, cupfires, pinfires, teatfires, Thuers, and gyrojets and caseless or expellable rounds. But my question is how many different rimless/grooveless rifle rounds are there? And for what purpose were they made? The .556 below says “for ruptured case test”

I know I have previous had a 308 and I think a 7.62 Russian and seen reference to a 284 and just found the pictured .556 in my accumulations.

Hi Muck
Several years (2008) ago I did a display at SLICS & It had 185 examples including shotshell & pistol rounds. (I didn’t consider pinfires or caseless unless they were metal ie dummies)
The 5.56 or yours is shown in Hughes & I’m pretty sure it was part of the Flexible Internal Element (FIE) tests as there was a burn through problem developing aluminum cases.
There was also another series of (normal configuration aluminum cases where the case wall was scored (a vertical line - length & depth) to test case failure.

Don’t forget the 5mm and 6.5mm Bergmans.

What about the French 7.5mm barrel test round?

Oh right, I forgot them and the 8mm Bergmann-Schmesser.
The 7.5 french barrel test is a new one to me.
Also I remember quite a few tear gas rounds.

The French also manufactured a rimless-grooveless 9 x 19 mm Parabellum cartridge, type “Auto Frettage.” I have a specimen with no headstamp, although I understand there are others known with headstamps. I have never been given a explanation of “Auto Frettage” (the use of them) that I fully understood, but think these were for a text fixture of sorts rather than for any use in an actual firearm.

If one includes plastic cases, there are also rimless-grooveless .45 auto rounds, purely experimental I believe, that were made by Winchester. I have samples in several colors of plastic cases, the one most often seen, I think, being red. I don’t know what there intended use was.

A caution. In some draw sets, there are basically finished cases other than the step of milling the extractor groove and extractor-groove bevel. One of my rarest 9 mm “cartridges” is one of these draw-set pieces, not actually a finished case. It is with the Cameroon headstamp “MANUCAM 9” and is copper-washed or copper-plated steel. The case was probably made in Germany, likely by MEN. I have never seen another example of this headstamp on a copper-coated steel case, although it exists on normal, brass-case ball rounds.

This would NOT count as a rimless-groovless cartridge case.

John Moss

I am not sure what the max. caliber is in this discussion but there is also a French 25x164 Hotchkiss barrel test round.

I made a pdf of the book I generated to go with the display.
Here it is.
No it isn’t at 9.1 meg I can’t attach it, apparently too big.
So if someone wants it e-mail me at: pdbullets@commspeed.net