RN Corelokt design

I know that Remington round nose corelokt projectiles have this particular pattern where the jacket meets the soft point but is this always the case?
Are there non corelokt remington projectiles with the same feature? or round nose corelokts without that feature?
Obviously the semi pointed corelokts have a different design being a protected soft point.

This pic is what I am talking about - the join between the jacket and lead soft point.

Remington has had several cartridges loaded with a ‘scalloped’ jacket like the bullets in your pic. Many of their standard SJHP revolver loads (like the 158gr SJHP .357M R357M2) have the same ‘wavy’ junction with the lead core.

Due to this (and the hardness/content of the lead alloy used), there are several Remington (and Winchester) loads that perform far better than analgous loads from Federal. The 110gr .30C JSP, 123gr 7.62x39R JSP, and 158gr LSWCHP .38sp are examples I’ve seen in testing.

Federal of course does make numerous modern bullets that perform very well.

Here are the Introduction ad’s from the Remington-DuPont Dealers Price List for 1939 and 1940.

18 Jan 1939

2 Jan 1940

The “Core-Lokt” feature actually refers to the inner jacket and so you can find Core-Lokt bullets with and without the distinctive notching at the meplat.

The Core-Lokt and most other patent bullet designs were primarily sales gimmiks because few lived up to their advertising hype.

Neither the Core-Lokt nor any other soft point designs can be considered as protected points. True protected points were a pre-WWII phenom that had pretty much run it’s course by the 1940s. Those that survived into the 1950s, such as the Silver Tip and Bronze Point, have also been replaced by more modern designs and materials.

Ray

When I am talking ‘protected point’ I am using the term that Woodleigh uses to describe one of their designs where the jacket extends right to the tip of the projectile but the tip is exposed lead. So the jacket protects the soft point but there is no cap or covering over the lead. Remington use this feature in many of their modern pointed corelokt range (.308 150 and 180gr, .358 200gr spire point for example). Probably not the best word to describe what I was talking about considering the true original protected point designs that had caps over the soft point.
So originally the ‘scallops’ were a feature of the corelokt projectile but now designs have varied and it is not so certain.
Thanks for some off the descriptive words for that distinctive join - couldnt work out the right word myself!

From my own hunting experience I have found that the corelokt bullets did perform better than the standard unbonded soft points of other brands (like winchester powerpoints, federal soft point). Recently I have seen quite a few failures (complete jacket core separation, lack of penetration and fragmentation) though. Not sure if there has been a change in manufacture or I am just giving the projectiles a harder job to perform! Also the different patent or design projectiles did/do sell well but many do have practical purposes in the field - it is just a matter of matching the right projectile to the game. Some are gimmicks but some are well tried and tested which is why they do become popular.

Alpine

As a hunter/trapper you probably have a lot of experience with the different “miracle” bullet designs over the past 100 years. As you know, most of them failed because they were touted as the best bullet for all occasions. But, there was no such thing. Some of the modern designs may come close to the ideal but the wise hunter still chooses his bullet to match his cartridge and the game being hunted.

I wrote an article for the IAA JOURNAL that showed and described the more popular protected point bullets of the first half of the 20th Century. It’s in issue #445 if you’d like to read it.

JMHO

Ray