Rockets are ammunition

This is the launch console for one of the German rockets. Which one ?

Oh my. Here we go.

Actually it is a cruise missile.

FZG 76 / Fi 103 / V1

The latter is the propaganda designation I’d dislike to use.

EOD

How was the Fi 103 designated in German WW2 tech manuals and such? I understand your preference for the “official” designations, but no one in these parts would know what you were refering to if you made mention of the V1 in those terms.

Rick

Rick, I have the manual somewhere and it says “FZG 76”. The Fi 103 was, since it was an aircraft, the manufacturer designation which was secret. The “FZG 76” was a code name to distract the enemy. FZG stood for “Flakzielgerät” = anti aircraft target for aiming practice.

The “V1” was just a propaganda designation for the masses.

Interesting. As Rick said, we of the masses have only heard of this as the V-1 but I guess it’s like our own (US) weapons. Harpoon and Tomahawk are names and there are official designations as well… which I don’t recall now. (Bad because I taught them!) I’m certain the vast majority of folks could not recall them either.

Now, as for the V-1 designation, I’m curious what the V actually stands for. Was it Victory? I seem to recall that “Victory Weapons” was used to describe the FZG 76 / Fi 103 / V1 and V-2 programs.

[quote=“EOD”]Actually it is a cruise missile.

FZG 76 / Fi 103 / V1

The latter is the propaganda designation I’d dislike to use.[/quote]

Calling the V1 a CRUISE MISSILE is like calling a Mauser bolt action rifle a radar controled vulcan machine cannon. Maybe it is better called the GRANDFATHER of the cruise missile. Germany had guided missiles which were closer to being in the CRUISE catagory. My friend who designed the guidance system for the CRUISE missiles doesn’t see any family familiarity at all. He says the V1 was about as accurate as throwing a rock at another country. He could put a CRUISE missle through your window from a submarine , aircraft or any platform hundreds , possibly thousands of miles away.

As I understand it , Hitler promoted the V-1 and V-2 names. This is a wartime German poster which has no problem with the name. Granted it is the “popular” name for the device.

Repeat after me ; rockets are ammunition , rockets are ammunition . You will be fine. Soon you will be ready for : missiles are ammunition .

Merely definitions but the grandfather is also ok.

In this training film the german speaker calls it a flying bomb which is the closest to the truth imho.
youtube.com/watch?v=ffjdgVU_RMQ
(several parts)
Soren

Aint all bombs flying when used?

Falling vs flying ? Define please.

To my knowledge, “V” stands for “Vergeltungswaffen” or “Retaliation weapon” in English. I’ve also heard the “V” meaning “Vengeance”. Is “Retaliation” the litteral translation of “Vergeltung”, and “Vengeance” an interpretation convenient to the letter “V”?

AKMS

[quote=“EOD”][quote=“DrSchmittCSAEOD”]
Calling the V1 a CRUISE MISSILE is like calling a Mauser bolt action rifle a radar controled vulcan machine cannon. Maybe it is better called the GRANDFATHER of the cruise missile.
[/quote]

Merely definitions but the grandfather is also ok.[/quote]

It would be better to call this rocket (missile) with a gyroscope inside a “grand child”.

Indeed it is an old idea and if you go far far away in the past you will discover prototypes and realisations of such devices.

Many ideas, concepts, items and realisations are older than we can think at first.

Here, dated from 1918, is a rocket with chemical mixture for propulsion and gyroscopic steering system.

JP

Interesting. Any details ?

Before launching my “MISSILES ARE AMMUNITION” thread I am looking for a cartoon which was published in the IAA or ICCA Journal some years ago which showed a fellow bringing an ICBM and claiming to have taken it out of a sealed box. Does anyone have that at hand ?

The inclusion of this notion in the official collectors journal should be adequate justification for the thread.

Looks spinstabilized only (hence the “gyroscope”?).

If guided I would really wonder how.

Missinterpretation of the text?

[quote=“EOD”]Looks spinstabilized only (hence the “gyroscope”?).

If guided I would really wonder how.

Missinterpretation of the text?[/quote]

Hi Alex,
I don’t understand well.

The thread was about V1, wasn’t it ??

V1 had only an inertia central (using a gyroscope).
Exactly as the old objet I showed.

Never said it was guided
Guided for me means you can modify the trajectory after the missile (or rocket) is lauched.

Most of the cruse missiles are not guided.
After the target parameters are entered into the navigation system and the missile fired, all is done and inch allah!!

jp

Well, your’s here is fired and will not correct the path of flight by itself as for example the V1 did. This is the difference I guess.

It will correct the path of flight excatly as V1 did.
Both are using the same system : inertia central based on a gyroscope.
JP