Ron Merchant

It’s been nearly 6 months since we’ve heard from Ron. Anyone know what he’s been up to?

Ray

I had a quick look at his user profile. It shows that he last logged in this Friday just gone (26th September 2014).

Ray,
I only live about 35 miles from Ron. I thought about running down to Cadillac and checking on him. But I decided to give him a call first. He is fine. We talked for about 10 min. He is a HAM radio operator and he has been very busy with a project involving that. He said about another week and he should be back on the forum more regularly again. I am just glad he is ok.

Zac

Thanks Zac. I’m glad to hear he is OK. Us old guys are always well aware of the short time we have left and when one of us falls off the radar for several months it calls for a inquiry.

Ray

Ray, Zac and any others who were concerned about my welfare, thank you for that concern. To Zac, thanks for the phone call.

Last October when I moved from Lansing MI to Cadillac MI, my hometown, my cartridge collection was thrown into complete disarray. Most of my collection is housed in blue print cabinets. In order to get the cabinets out of my cartridge room the contents were literately just dumped into large boxes with no regard to what was mixed with what. Needless to say, I was not present during that phase of my packing. While I do have a computer list of what drawer every cartridge belongs in, it will probably be another year before I can get it all rearranged.

I have been a Ham Radio Operator (N8PWE) for almost 30 years, but because of where I lived in Lansing for the last 20 years, I had no room for an antenna, so I had been inactive. But now, here in Cadillac, I have a nice big double size lot measuring 120 ft x 150 ft and have lots of room for a nice rotating beam antenna on a tower. Building that
antenna, a 6-Band (6 meters to 20 meters) Hex-Beam design, is the project that Zac mentioned that has been taking up my time all summer. But, next Friday, 4 Oct (my 68th Birthday), I will be powering up that antenna for the first time. Hopefully it will work fine and I will be flooded with new contacts from all over the world.

Since last January, I have been using a simple wire antenna. For those who may be fellow Hams it is a Off-Center Fed Dipole for 10 meters to 40 meters. My son, also a Ham, put it up when I had 2 feet of snow in back yard and -10 degrees. It has worked well and has allowed me to contact 69 countries.

So, now you all know that I ain’t dead yet, just distracted with an old interest. Now that the antenna and tower project is almost complete, I hope to be getting back to the Forum on a more consistent basis. But, if you don’t see me on here it is just that my Ham radio is calling me from Australia and I just have to answer it!!!

“it will probably be another year before I can get it all rearranged”

Good luck with that schedule, Ron. My move will be 2 years old at the end of October, and I’m still reorganizing the moving damage and hunting for stuff I’m sure I have but just can’t find!