Roper shotgun shells?

Well, I was looking at the “American Heritage” poster at cartridgecomparisonguide.com, and in the shotgun shells section, on both sides of the 16 gauge 3 1/2 inch Winchester shell, there are 2 rebated rim shotgun shells, one a 16 and the other a 12 gauge. They seem to have rebated rims, and I have never heard of these before. Could someone give more info on these?

Those would be “Roper” shotgun shells, full steel case. The rebated rim was to function in the Roper revolving shotgun. You can see a few online having sold in past auctions:

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/12978591

You can see a good run-down on the history here: http://www.icollector.com/Rare-Cased-Roper-Revolving-Shotgun-with-Accessories_i9752087

Matt, good source of information

We’re these shells meant to be reloaded (as per the steel case)? Or were these shells factory loaded by the Ropert company for public resale?

-Dave

Thanks Matt. The name was a bit fuzzy.

[quote=“RimPin”]Matt, good source of information
We’re these shells meant to be reloaded (as per the steel case)? Or were these shells factory loaded by the Ropert company for public resale?
-Dave[/quote]
I don’t know more than just the links above. Somebody in the forum must know though

Dave
I’ve seen a good number of these over the years & have not seen one I would even remotely consider to have been factory loaded. But I can’t say they were never factory loaded.

No doubt they were sold boxed (never seen a box either) but I’d bet just as new emptied of new primed empties.

a 16 and a 12

Dave, to add to what Pete said, the Roper catalog of 1870 lists four steel shells included in the price of any four-shot shotgun, and five or six included in the price of rifles, depending on the model. Also, four shells for each caliber were included with every shotgun/rifle combination gun. A complete loading set was included with every gun.

The equipment list also offers steel shells per dozen at $6.00, Berdan primers per thousand at $3.00, and Eley pink edge wads per thousand at $3.00.

The 1873 pricelist adds leather belts for 24 shells with 18 or 20 steel shells, whose price was more expensive than a complete shotgun or rifle.

The manufacturer recommended priming the shell after loading powder and shot, so it seems likely that no new primed shells were offered for sale.

Regards,

Fede

To help fill this thread out a bit, a couple of the rifle rounds.
The top (.468" at outside of the mouth & .428" inside the mouth) has a Mead patent explosive bullet with a .22 RF blank in the nose & the lower (.464" & .402" a the same places) seems a new empty.
Not sure the why of the belt or rim thickness variations, perhaps a variant particular to the case type/caliber

Very good Pete and Fede! I had suspected the steel construction to be meant for reloading, but it is great to know that they came NPE from the factory! Thank you both, it is much obliged!

Regards,
Dave.

A few more

[quote=“RimPin”]Very good Pete and Fede! I had suspected the steel construction to be meant for reloading, but it is great to know that they came NPE from the factory! Thank you both, it is much obliged!

Regards,
Dave.[/quote]

Dave, probably a typo, but these did not come as NPE, just New Empty’s, as per Fede’s post

Lol, thanks for pointing that one out Pete. I did mean “New Empty, and unprimed”. :-)

My mistake

Regards,
Dave.