Roth-Steyr 8mm 1907 Loading Clips

I have a 1907 Model Roth-Steyr 8mm Pistol and would like to find some original or repro Loading clips to enable me to shoot my pistol on the range. If any forum member could point me in the right direction where I might buy 2- 3 clips etc.

Best regards

Charles

The charger for the Model 1907 pistrol is very hard to find, they crop up once in a while but it might be necessary to buy a packet of original ammunition in order to get the chargers, I know of no source for reproductions, they’re a complicated fabrication and I doubt the limited demand would make production worthwhile.

The one above was found at an ECRA meeting and I had to pay hansomely for it despite the condition.

Pete

2 Likes

Here’s a picture of the box and label for a clip of G. Roth 8 mm Roth-Steyr rounds. The cartridges are G. Roth 1914 manufacture as noted on the box. The only thing missing from the photo is a marking on another side simply saying “10 Stück” (10 Pieces, 10 Rounds, etc.)

I don’t know if this is the only style of box for 8 mm R-S cartridges packed on clips made in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, but if so, as the box says, they only hold one clip. You would have to buy the number of boxes for the amount of clips you wanted. I used to own, in a collection of auto pistols, three Roth-Steyrs, and I seem to recall their is a button on one side to lock the bolt back. I think if I am right, and I warn that it has been decades since I had that collection, that you should be able to simply lock the bolt back on your pistol and load the rounds one by one. However, if you try that, do something to keep the bolt back, because I forget if the depressing of the follower frees the bolt to go forward, or not. If it does, you would have a might sore thumb. I haven’t handle a Roth-Steyr Pistol in about 40 years, so forgive my equivocation about procedures for loading with no clip. I just can’t imagine a military pistol that could not be loaded and fired in an emergency (no clips at hand, but ammo available) combat situation without the clips.

God Luck! As Enfield said, getting a few clips for the Roth-Steyr might end up be almost as costly as one of those pistols.

John Moss

1 Like

Last I had any, the strippers alone were going for north of $300 each.

1 Like

John,
the box is marked Lichtenorth and brlow it,apparently a later rubber stamped made in italy !!!
Strange…

Cheers

Since the 8mm R-S cartridge can be made with .30M1 Carbine cases, the Stripper clip of Carbine ammo ( less the magazine sleeve)
can be used as a “make-do” clip.

Try it and see.
Doc AV

Eric - I forgot to mention the “Made in Italy” stamp, for which I should have expressed my theory on that in my entry. Thanks, Eric, for bringing it up. The stamp is in different color and different font. Somewhere along the the chain from whoever had this ammo until the American Market (and perhaps other countries for which I am not familiar of their ammo-marking laws), someone ignorant of both the actual origin of the ammo, or for some nefarious reason, complied with the law requiring each box be stamped with the country of origin, but having the wrong country. It may have a background (captured ammo?) involving Italy, as most of us know, Italy and Austro-Hungary were on opposite sides of the “Great European War” (WWI). It is also possible that the stamp was applied in America by the importer or retail dealer, who thought it was Italian.

I have a box of 9 mm Canadian ammunition, likely supplied to Danish Partisans in WWII,
that went through the MILSURP sales chain, and is stamped “Made in Denmark,” or simply “Denmark” to comply with “country of origin” regulations. Others could probably give other examples of erroneous attribution of the country of origin stamped on imported products.

John Moss

JM, after WWI, Italy received from The remains of Austria-Hungary, besides Ships, Locomotives, Artillery, Rifles,MGs etc, also large consignments of both Steyr M12 pistols and RS M07.
As well as large quantities of ammo. Just as with the AH rifles, these were available to Colonial Troops, Colonial Police, PlainClothes LE, etc. Fiocchi made ammo for them as well.
Confusion by Importer from Italy, mis-identifying this old WWI stock as being Italian made is probable in 1950s, especially with large quantities of Surplus Military Italian amm of various calibres hitting the US Market.
Doc AV

Hi Doc,
Thank you for this suggestion. I was not quite sure what you meant by Less the Magazine Sleeve?
I had a look at the.30M1 Stripper Clip which was interesting.

Best regards

Charles

Doc,

Thank you. That was my thought also - purely confusion over who made the ammo.

Edited to correct a spelling-typo error only.

John

The 30 Carbine charger usually had an adaptor that slid over the rear of the magazine, a principle that’s still in use with many rifles in 5,56x45. It’s usual to find the charger and the guide supplied as a single unit;

I’ve no idea of the time sequence involved but some ammunition was supplied in bandoliers with the cartridges in chargers alone, with a single adaptor supplied in a separate small pocket in the bandolier;

Pete

1 Like

Doc,

Have any idea how many 8mm rounds the .30M1 Clip will hold?

Best regards

Charles

10, just like M1carb.
But you only need 8 to fill magazine…unless you use the extra two to act as “pushers”.
Or make a wood or plastic slide to push the 8 ctgs down into the mag.
Doc AV