Royal Artillery Museum, Woolwich

I finally managed to get to the Firepower Museum in Woolwich recently. Dealing as it does with the history of the Royal Artillery I was rather disappointed to find that there were cannons a’plenty, but pitifully few shells or ordnance on display.

This is about it, a few 105mm shells;

Outside, there’s a large piece of metal, described thus; “Experimental shield of 13” iron pre-1873";

There’s also a section of Mr Bull’s ‘Supergun’ on display.

I won’t be hurrying back.

Happy collecting,

Peter

There are also a few sections of the supergun at Fort Nelson down in Portsmouth. These are inside and covered to preserve them. It appears that the section in your photo is left outside to rust away.

Does anyone know if the breech end is preserved anywhere?

Even more interesting to know about the rounds for it. Somewhere the documentation on them must be stored.

Thank you for photos. Here is a link to more Firepower Museum photos images.search.yahoo.com/search/i … wer+Museum
I love the "Unemployed, in receipt of benefits (proof of entitlement required)"
in the museum admission policy. How many unemployed actually visit this museum?

The Woolwich museum is an easy guide for the general public rather than a haven for the serious ammo freak. Its good that it should bring in the general public without turning them off with too much detail.
Some of the Portsmouth Museums, lets face it less than an hour on the train from London and very cheap if you advance book the train fare have a lot more to offer and are genuinely sexy for the likes of us.

‘Slick Rick’ Van Houten when he was over here a few years ago couldn’t speak highly enough of them and he is a pretty knowledgable man. I tend to bypass the shells but go to the D Day Museum. The Fortress actually fire the big guns on high days and holidays. I supplied quite a lot of the (dummy) ammo for the re-enactors and the dressing up element at the Fortress and I have an open invite which I will take up this year.
The Tank Museum at Bovindon probably holds the best ammo related exhibits. For the British buffs I say get to grips with the discount train fares and get down there. The British Legion* run coach trips. Tank days when they fire up all the old WW1 and WW2 tanks and drive them round the perimeter road is a great day out

• UK Vets Assn.

[quote=“sksvlad”]Thank you for photos. Here is a link to more Firepower Museum photos images.search.yahoo.com/search/i … wer+Museum
I love the "Unemployed, in receipt of benefits (proof of entitlement required)"
in the museum admission policy. How many unemployed actually visit this museum?[/quote]

Pandering to political corectness BUT, Some old soldiers fall into this catagory. Unfortuanately old soldiers and current (recent) ex-servicemen find it hardest to re establish themselves with jobs and a roof over their head. Its one of the big disgraces and anyone who has ever worn a uniform, any uniform irespective of nationality should disapprove of this " bye bye and thanks, have a good life" attitude towards soldiers walking out the gate at the end of their service. Many end up as homeless alcoholics.

Wasn’t Bovington a birthplace of British WWI tanks?

sksvlad –

Yes, the Heavy Branch of the Machine Gun Corps moved to Bovington early in WW1 and became responsible for the development of the new tanks. The Branch then separated from the Machine Gun Corps and in 1917 was renamed the Tank Regiment, and Bovington has been the headquarters of tank development for the Royal Armoured Corps ever since. The RAC now consists of two Royal Tank Regiments and the several Cavalry Regiments, which soon adopted AFVs, keeping their horses for ceremonial occasions only.

The Bovington Tank Museum is certainly well worth a visit. It is probably unsurpassed anywhere for its display of tanks and other armoured vehicles from many nations, and as Vince says, it also exhibits a number of relevant ammunition items.

JJE

Enfield56, the museum may be a disappointment, but I now know which color (the lime green) smoke shells had (have) and therefore my 20 pounder smoke shell body restoration just got nearer to completion :-)
Many thanks.
Soren

A good one for large-calibre ammo is the obscure little “Explosion” naval armament museum in Gosport: explosion.org.uk/