RUAG 9 mm HeXagon

all4shooters.com/en/specials … o-hexagon/

A link for the new match cartridge from RUAG, the HeXagon. Headstamp for XPL cartridges is typical DAG with caliber, year and code number. Normal production hst is Geco 9x19 mm.

Thanks Jean-Francois!

Here is one image from that link, which must be from the IWA 2014 show:

The link for the promo video shows some interesting images, all in high-definition CGI. The video must have cost them some considerable investment to make:

“German Engineering” / “Swiss Precision” … Two sayings loved by marketers:

Showing the bullet in flight with a wind tunnel effect and how the grooves supposedly will stabilize the bullet:

A section of the cartridge, showing a Sintox primer and an enclosed-base bullet with a nipple on the base of the bullet:

A sequence that showed some re-enactments of target trials from Bianchi Cup, PPC 1500, and Pistole show a bullet in flight with an “X” on the base of the bullet. Not sure if that will be on the actual bullets.:

Images in the video show a typical GECO headstamp in a couple of instances.

Could it be the engineering geniusses overlooked that golf balls do not fly in the transonic region? If they discovered that a (spherical!) golf ball is stabilized by its dimples, they are in for a Nobel prize in physics.

I get the impression that they are using the term “golf ball effect” just to imply that grooves or marks made purposefully are the cause for stabilization in some things including this bullet. They could have just used a word like aerodynamically-enhanced, but they must have thought the golf ball reference would get people thinking that it was more special than not.

I am not very scientific, as everyone knows. However, since 9 mm rounds with undimpled, ungrooved bullets seem to stabilize very nicely, isn’t this just gilding the lily? I know nothing about golf balls, but have heard in the past that the pattern on them helps stabilize them.

Of course, I realize that the rifling in the barrel puts some marks on them, but they are not the straight grooves of the Swiss and other pre-split jacket nose bullets. Would the land impressions themselves on the bullet make it stabilize better beyond just the effect the lands have in making the bullet spin in flight?

The dimples in the golf ball create additional turbulence in the air flow around the ball. Normally this would be not good, but at the velocities in question this turbulence makes the wake smaller, which in turn reduces the air drag.

In a way the dimples achieve something similar that the boattail on an ordinary bullet does: making the area of the wake smaller, thereby reducing the drag.

A way around advertised (lack of) versus actual (possible deformation) terminal effect?

With several nations and areas listing expanding expanding ammo as verboten, maybe this would work to circumvent it?

Definitely appears to have a cavity in the nose.

No clue.

It appears to be a very shallow hollow point like some Gold-Dots, with perforations pre-cut both inside & outside to aid in expansion.

DK,

The very deep cuts remind me of early 147gr HSTs; the overall look honestly kinda smacks of the Hirtenberger EMB without the larger central post.

Either way I intend to get and test some of these in a Fackler box or on game just to see.

These seem to be circulating readily throughout the European retail ammo market, but there has yet to be any of this in North America as far as I can tell. There is a review of it here, in so far as its quality as a factory match load:
http://www.all4shooters.com/en/articles/ammunition/2014/geco-hexagon-9mm-ammunition-for-pistols/

Some new images found online of the actual cartridge and its headstamp:

It looks like a few years earlier Norma experimental hunting bullet.

Gentleman,

Most important part of this new ammo!

On the left side you see how I use to shoot.
On the right side how I shoot next week.

A smiling Dutch

Hm… if your targets don’t look like that using HeXagon, maybe you can sue RUAG?

nbcnews.com/business/consume … gs-n221901

:-)

I just noticed that Target Sports USA has these in stock now, so they are in the U.S. market.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/rws-geco-9mm-hexagon-ammo-124-grain-jhp-p-57585.aspx?keyword=hexagon

I will bring some to the Show in April

I just returned from the range. For a recent Geco product they shoot suprisingly well. (Lot 63JJ140)

The (very shallow) headstamp is " Geco 9 mm Luger " (no 9x19 and no SX, although the box says non-toxic primer). Nickeled primer.

Hungarian CIP symbol; obviously manufactured in Hungary.

Thanks Rolf, it will be interesting to compare headstamps or boxes on your domestic version, vs the export version which myself, Lew, or others will have.

Here some pictures from my Hexagon cartridges: