Russian 12.7 x 55

I recently obtained a new unprimed brass case for the ASh-12.7 Assault Rifle.
The headstamp is 335 at 12 o clock and 12 at 6 o clock.
Does anybody know who 335 is?

Have you recovered from winning the Championship yet, Dave?

Cheers
Tony

Yes Tony
My heartbeat is now back to normal after the trials and tribulations in Rotterdam docks waiting for the final UK football scores

Hi Dave, as I understand 335 is the code assigned to KBP Instrument Design Bureau and the manufacturer of the case is JSC “Novosibirsk Cartridge Plant”. I’m sure that others forum members can confirm or correct this information.

Fede, as usual you are correct.

The case is just not the “ASh-12.7” as it is the case the VKS (VSSK) is using since 2003 already (actually a cut donw .338 LM).

I think Ash-12.7 cases can only be identified when they were loaded because then the specific bullet crimp on the case mouth will be visible.

Yes Fede, you are correct as EOD confirms. Since 2007, according to information I have, the code 335 has been used by TsKIBCOO, and office of the KBP Instrument Design Bureau. My information indicates that the headstamp was used also, and perhaps first, on two different AP loadings of the 9 x 18 mm Makarov cartridge, Model 7N25 as designed by the Tula KBP/RsKIBCOO using bullets devloped by TSNIITOCHMASH. The difference in the two bullets is evidently only in the hardness of the core.

I was not aware it was being used on the 12.7 at all, and that is good news here as confirmation of the above information, since I know of no one who has actually seen any Makarov round, yet, with a “335” headstamp. If anyone has, especially if they have a picture of one, I hope they will picture it here. It would be very important information for me. Since reported as beginning in 2007, this code has been a long time in being encountered appearing on actual ammunition.

Alex & John, thank you both for the help.

John, I have seen pictures of both the 12.7x108 and 9x18 (7N25) headstamed 335, and also existS in 9x19 PBP (7N31). I’m sure that Yuri will post pictures and more information as soon as he read this.

Is the 12,7 x 55 a 338 Lapua case cut at the shoulder and then loaded with a 12,7 mm bullet? I didn’t know this round and i would like to see a picture of it ( with dimensions if possible). It should be quite similar to the 12,7 x 57 Anthis but using rimless case

Thanks for the information everyone, never ceases to amaze me the wealth of knowledge on here.

Dave

All 12.7 (x108 and x55) cases marked as 335 actually manufactured by 188 plant by contract for KPB.
Some head stamps of x55 ammo-collection.com/index.php?ti … 0%BC%D0%B0
Some new hs will add later.

[quote=“donnydave”]I recently obtained a new unprimed brass case for the ASh-12.7 Assault Rifle.
Does anybody know who 335 is?[/quote]

Why do you you thinking your case is from cartridge for ASh-12.7? The difference between ASh-12.7 and Vihlop’s cartridges is mainly in different bullets used for cartridges. And almost all (but not all) ASh’s cases having additional cannelure near case’ neck.

If your case is unprimed and not fired it simply could be used for both types of cartridges. Here are some illustrations: forum.ammo-collection.com/index.php?topic=30.0

[quote=“Yuri”][quote=“donnydave”]I recently obtained a new unprimed brass case for the ASh-12.7 Assault Rifle.
Does anybody know who 335 is?[/quote]

Why do you you thinking your case is from cartridge for ASh-12.7? The difference between ASh-12.7 and Vihlop’s cartridges is mainly in different bullets used for cartridges. And almost all (but not all) ASh’s cases having additional cannelure near case’ neck.

If your case is unprimed and not fired it simply could be used for both types of cartridges. Here are some illustrations: forum.ammo-collection.com/index.php?topic=30.0[/quote]

Yuri, illustrations are not shown unless you a re registered at the ammo-collection forum :(

Strange, will fix it.

John, the “335” has been observed so far on these calibers:
9x19, 12.7x55, 12.7x108

Also they are using this code on some of their disposable rocket launchers/rockets.

PS: edited because a wrong caliber was listed.

Pivi, it is the case which started this thread. Actually it is less the 12.7x57 Anthis but exactly what the Finns do use for their 120mm AMOS subcaliber system. They just use a longer projectile which ironically is made of drawn brass and basically resembles a sniper projectile (maybe just with a tracer, I have never seen one out of the case, would be interesting to do then).
It would be interesting to know who had the cut down case first; Finland or Russia?

On this factory display you can see the cases on the top left (the ASh-12.7) and in the middle below the 12.7x108 are the VKS (VSSK) rounds. They share the same case.

thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-c … 45-tfb.jpg

Thanks EOD,
Uh, I have the 7,62 x 69 mm in my collection, but listed as 30 - 338 Lapua russian sniper. Would it be more precise to list it as “7,62 x 69” ? ( PS: it has 338 Lapua commercial headstamp)

Could someone tell me the outside neck diameter and the case lenght of a new uncrimped case? I will try to do a sample on my own

[quote=“Pivi”]Thanks EOD,
Uh, I have the 7,62 x 69 mm in my collection, but listed as 30 - 338 Lapua russian sniper. Would it be more precise to list it as “7,62 x 69” ? ( PS: it has 338 Lapua commercial headstamp)[/quote]

You are correct (if your case is genuine). The Russians did not call it a 30-338, actually the Lapua name for their own 7.62mm is .300 LM if I recall correctly but wonder if it has exactly the same case dimensions.

EOD, no. I have an original 300 Lapua case and it not the same. I think my round is genuine as it also as the same HP bullet that I have seen in some pictures.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4341&hilit=300+lapua+magnum

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11907&p=84821&hilit=300+lapua#p84821

[quote=“EOD”]John, the “335” has been observed so far on these calibers:
8.6x69 (.338LM), 9x19, 12.7x55, 12.7x108

Also they are using this code on some of their disposable rocket launchers/rockets.[/quote]

You have or can show .338 LM with code 335? I know only 188 hs specimens. Also 9x18 335 are known.

All known to me 7.62x69 having hs 188, or have cases with removed hs or used LM cases necked down to 7.62-mm. This is experimental cartridge and no serial loadings are known.