Russian 45x186 NS-45 aircraft gun

Here a cartridge for the Russian 45x186 NS-45 aircraft gun, just in case someone is interested:

Thanks EOD!
It is very interesting. I never saw such cartridges. I congratulate you if it is your cartridge. I will add that aircraft gun NS-45 was mounted by planes Jak-9K. In total 53 planes have been made. Tests at the front have shown good efficiency of this gun, but it was too powerful for a fighter with one motor. If the fighter had speed less than 350 km/h at shooting because of recoil the fighter became uncontrollable.

Is there a picture of the gun itself? I couldn’t find any.

23ag.ru/html/ns_45.html

The NS and NR series of Aircraft Cannon ( NS-23,NR-23, N37, and NS45) were Designed by Nudelmann and Sudarev, and Richter, all Soviet Cannon designers of WW II. The guns are based on the Rotating Bolt Mauser designs (MK151 and similar)
and appeared late in the war ( 1944-45), and the NS/NR 23 and the N37 were carried over to MiG 15 and MiG 17 fighters in the 1950s.
The cartridge cases were Rimless ( other AA cannon shells were Rimmed),
The 23mm co-developed with the 14,5 AT/AA shell ( same Body, diff. calibre), whilst the 37 and the 45 have a rimless cases , the 45 seemingly a “Necked Up” version of the 37. The NS 45 gun looks very similar to the N37D ( 1950s manufacture), except for the Muzzle brake.

The Guns were belt fed, with a delinker built into the Feeding mechanism, and then a Rammer which placed the case into the T-slots of the Bolt head (Browning type slots), to position it in line with the chamber. Charging the Bolt and advancing the belt was done by Compressed air, and Firing was done by Electric solenoid; the NR versions ( following the original NS versions,) used a cam operated Feed system, rather than compressed air. On Auto-fire, the gun released the firing Pin mechanically,( after firast activation of Electric trigger, with the Electric solenoid allowing for cessation of fire. Cases were ejected (Downwards) or (Sideways) depending on the orientation of the Gun in the Aircraft ( Nose Mounted in the Mig, they were adjusted to fit in, with different types of Aluminium Magazine Boxes to “fit in” between the Two guns each side.

Most of the Warsaw pact Nations made 23x115 and 37x155 ammo in the 1950s and 60s ( PRC as well.) India and Pakistan ( both users of MiG aircraft, also made the ammo, at least the 23x115. WW II cases are brass, but most 1950s and 60s made are steel ( Eastern Bloc) Pakistan cases are brass.

The Small Number of Aircraft made with the 45mm cannon would imply a similar small number of cannon made as well, possibly by conversion of existing N37 guns with new barrels, so both Guns and Ammo would be exceedingly Rare ( the 45mm version is NOT mentioned in Chinn’s “The Machine Gun” ( not in the section on Soviet guns, which shows the 23mm and 37mm versions extensively) nor in Vol.5, which adds new Post WW II developements.

MY info on the guns is derived from the several examples in my Movie Gun Inventory.(NS23, NR23, and N37D)

BTW, the 45mm Pointed shell looks like an Armour Piercing type ( Tank Buster) similar to the Types used by the Luftwaffe in Stuka Ju87-mounted “Tank Busters” of 1944 on the Russian Front.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

Doc, this one here is a HE-SD-T. The AP which is known only from an old image is an APHC-T which had an aluminum central section and a steel ballistic cap, the main body was made of steel.

Here the 37x198 NS-37 and 45x186 NS-45 with the above described AP projectile.

Doc, as you said. The NS-45 is nothing else but a NS-37 with a different barrel. Even the links for the cartridges were the same.

Question,
From my recollections, the 37mm shell is a 37x155 for the N37; ( Chinn), Not a 37x198; The confusion may be with a corresponding Rimmed AA shell, which were Longer (more Powder) than the corresponding Aircraft shells??

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

Doc, you are right on the N-37, the calibers are as follows:

N-37 (and NN-37): 37x155 rimless (a post war development)
NS-37: 37x198 rimless (but the initial cartridge developed for this gun was rimmed - long story)
M 1939 AA gun (Bofors system): 37x252 R

The projectiles are basically on all 3 cartridges the same.

[quote=“EOD”]Here a cartridge for the Russian 45x186 NS-45 aircraft gun, just in case someone is interested:

[/quote]
Now that is one round I’d love to have in my collection: I’ve never even seen a recent photo before, only old poor-quality ones in Russian books. Is it yours?

Page 417, SOVIET CANNON, Christian Koll.

[quote=“TonyWilliams”][quote=“EOD”]Here a cartridge for the Russian 45x186 NS-45 aircraft gun, just in case someone is interested:

[/quote]
Now that is one round I’d love to have in my collection: I’ve never even seen a recent photo before, only old poor-quality ones in Russian books. Is it yours?[/quote]

Yes

Thanks EOD! Very interesting round and information. I never heard of this gun or ammo. Real interesting about the single engine plane issue :-)

Jason

Very nice item, EOD! Thanks for sharing the pics and info.

Dave