Russian BEM 7.62 cartridge 1917? Any Infor

Curiously, I’ve been interested in hunting cartridges from oddball places like France and Russia and Japan for several years now. Does any one have information about this Russian hunting cartridge from about the time of the First World War? What I have been able to glean from various Russian language websites using a translator is that in 1917 a V.E. Markovich modified less than 100 rejected Mosin Nagant rifles for hunting purposes, chambering them for what appears to be 7.62x48mm cartridge. I think the plan was to eventually manufacture more of them for use in commercial trapping in Siberia but the war intervened (note, this is only conjecture!). Whether a rimmed or rimless cartridge, I can not say, but I would bet on rimmed. It seems they are saying the cartridge was adaptable for either 3.3 g of black powder or 2.75g of smokeless “Dupont” powder. Bullets could either be an 84 grain lead bullet or a 9g (139 grain) jacketed bullet. The velocity is claimed to be as high as 725 mps. The goal was to create a cartridge with greater power than the .32-40 Winchester cartridge. I may have just opened a can of worms, but, you many times don’t get anything unless you ask.

Here is the original Russian from Wikihunt.ru.

Гильза короче казенной на 4 мм и переделывалась из последней. Длина гильзы 48 мм, объем таков, что в ней помещалось 3,3 г черного пороха охотничий патрон фирмы Винчестер калибра 32-40 (тоже почти 3 линии) имел всего 2,7 грамма черного пороха. При заряде бездымного боевого пороха марки Дюпон 2,75 г и пуле экспрессного типа в оболочке весом 9 г, ее начальная скорость составляла 725 м/с, тогда как патрон Винчестера 32-40, при бездымном порохе давал скорости от 459 до 630 м/с.

Карабин ВЕМ обладал хорошими баллистическими данными. Скорость пули не уступала карабинам Маузера, и при хорошей настильности боя убойность пули ВЕМ была удовлетворительна по крупным зверям.

Большим удобством являлся подбор специальных пуль для разных целей:

литая пуля с желобком для осалки, изготовленная кустарным способом из твердого свинца, служила для практических стрельб; для охоты на птицу и мелкого зверя
пуля такого же назначения, но заводского изготовления, полуоболочечная Бутурлина-Смирнского применялась в военных патронах с уменьшенным зарядом для практических стрельб
пуля экспресс, переделанная из боевой остроконечной
пуля полуоболочечная, от боевой взята ведущая часть оболочки
пуля в проволочной оболочке, самодельная, зверобойная. 

При соответствующих патронах карабин мог служить дальнобойной винтовкой для горных и степных охот, штуцером по крупному зверю и наконец винтовкой с небольшой убойной силой для охоты по мелкому зверю и птице.

Translation (such as it is)
Sleeve is shorter than 4 mm at the breech, and was revised from the last. Case length 48 mm, the volume is such that it was placed 3.3 g of black powder hunting cartridge firm Winchester caliber 32-40 (also about 3 lines) was only 2.7 grams of black powder. When a charge of smokeless powder military grade DuPont and 2.75 g bullet express type in a shell weighing 9 g, its initial velocity is 725 m / s, while the Winchester 32-40 cartridge, smokeless powder at the rate of giving 459 to 630 m / with.

BEM carbine had good ballistic data. Velocity of the bullet was not inferior to the rifle Mauser , and with good flatness knockdown fight bullets BEM was satisfactory for large animals.

A great convenience is the selection of special bullets for different purposes:

cast bullet with a groove for osalki, home-made of solid lead, was used for practical shooting, for hunting birds and small game
bullet of the same destination, but the factory-built, soft point Buturlina-Smyrna used in military cartridges with reduced charge for practical shooting
Bullet Express, adapted from the military peaked
soft point bullet from battle taken a leading part of the shell
bullet shell, wire, hand-made, mammals. 

With appropriate carbine cartridges could serve as a long-range rifle for hunting mountain and steppe, choke on big game rifle, and finally with a little destructive power to hunt for small animals and birds.

I didn’t heard of such a cartridge, but can offer a little more intelligible translation than Google. Excuse me, gents, if I made some mistakes!

Translation:

The cartridge case is 4 mm shorter than the original and was made by reworking the military case. The length of the case was 48 mm and the volume was such, that that the case was loaded with 3.3 grams (51 grains)of black powder. The Winchester hunting cartridge 32-40 (it was also almost 3 lines) was able to hold up to 2.7 grams (41,7 grains) of black powder. When the cartridge was loaded with 2.75 grams(42,4 grains) of military smokeless powder Du Pont and a jacketed “Express” type bullet weighting 9 grams(139 grains), the initial velocity of the bullet was 725 m/s (2 379 fps), and the cartridge 32-40 Winchester loaded with smokeless powder had an initial velocity of 459-630 m/s (1 506-2 067 fps).

Carbine VEM had a good ballistics. The velocity of the bullet was not inferior to the bullet velocity of the Mauser carbine and combined with flat trajectory the knockdown power of the VEM bullet was satisfactory for big game hunting.

A huge advantage was set of special bullets for different purposes:

Cast lead bullet with lubricant groove, home-made from hardened lead was serving as practice bullet, for small game and bird hunting.

For the same purpose was used similar bullet, but factory made, semi-jacketed type Buturlin-Smirnskoy. It was used in military practice cartridges with decreased powder charge.

“Express” bullet, reworked from military pointed bullet;

Semi-jacketed bullet, from the military bullet was taken leading (cylindrical) part of the jacket.

Bullet with wire jacket, homemade, for dangerous game (?)

With appropriate bullets the VEM carbine was capable for use as a long-range rifle for mountain and plain hunting, as a stutzen for large game, and as a low knockdown power rifle for small game and bird hunting.

Iv4o

Thank you very much for the translation. That makes it much more understandable to me. Do you have any information about the VEM sporting rifle and Russian hunting cartridges? Have you happened to see my question about this topic on another forum?
forums.gunboards.com/showthread. … -1916-1918

The source of that information is V. N. Trofimov’s book about russian hunting rifles (edited in 2007). I have a copy but there is no picture or a further description of the 7.62 x 48 R cartridge.

I guess this is one you are asking for: http://patron.trizna.ru/index.php?title=5,6%D1%8547_%D0%9F%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BC%D1%8B%D1%81%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%B2%D1%8B%D0%B9

Unfortunately, no. The cartridge you present us it from 1957 and is a 5.62mm bullet and 47mm long case. The cartridge I seek is from 1917, has a 7.62mm bullet and a 48mm cartridge case or sleeve. Thank you anyway.