Russian drinking mugs from fired cases

aa

May I correct you a little about the ceremony?
Usually this was done on promotions. The little stars which go on the shoulder pieces (the new ones) are dropped into a full glass of Vodka (or these nice things here) and then it was drunk “bottoms up” and the stars were caught with the teeth.
Have never seen it on a medal parade and was present on both occassions.
If there is new or other habits some native Russian may correct me.

Native Russian suspects it’s a stuff from Izmailovo flea market. Made recently for foreigners.

I have had these for 30 years. Are there still US 40mms kicking around Russian flea markets ? My understanding is that the Soviet and Russian governments were(are) not too happy about private ownership of ordnance items. Right or wrong today ?

Unfortunately correct. It’s illegal to obtain ammo without license. And having license you could buy ammo only for your weapon. And even having license we could buy only smoothbore weapon or after 5 years rifled hunting weapon. Hand guns and any automatic firearm is banned.

Any type of inert or deactivated cartridges could be collected. Deactivated weapon also could be collected without problems and licenses.

What you described with medals ceremony it

I got these in the Soviet Union in the mid1970s as a gift from Govt. Museum staff not a flea market. Didn’t know flea markets were active. I did have an inert Soviet training grenade bought in a shop on Nevsky Prospect confiscated at airport exit customs. It was a solid metal head with wood handle. They also would not let me take out a 1 oz. bottle of soil as a souvenir. Always enjoyed trips to the Soviet Union.

They are real. Not a fakes or so. Often such items developed as souvenirs for important persons, anniversary and other major events.
Our custom service unfortunately is almost same and at present time :(

[quote=“Yuri Bushin”]
Our custom service unfortunately is almost same and at present time :([/quote]

You’re telling me?! BTDT!

But then, I think most of the personnel doing “security” at American airports are similarly lobotomized robotic bureaucrats, which is why I refuse to fly domestically.

My mistake with Izmailovo. It’s pretty close to the stuff they are selling now. You can find some empty cartriges at a flea markets. There are a lot guys with metal detactors now.

How about rounding up some of those cases from the flea markets? I would love to see what is available there.

[quote=“Iconoclast”][quote=“Yuri Bushin”]

But then, I think most of the personnel doing “security” at American airports are similarly lobotomized robotic bureaucrats, which is why I refuse to fly domestically.

.[/quote] You haven’t lived until you have been body cavity strip searched by a KGB woman at Sheremetyevo air port- days gone by -I hear they are much nicer now -they wear gloves.

I bought a dozens of the small arms cartriges at Izmailovo. I collect up to 20 mm only. But you can find artillery cartriges too.
I’ve seen some exotic stuff in the local museums too.

I bought a dozens of the small arms cartriges at Izmailovo. I collect up to 20 mm only. But you can find artillery cartriges too.
I’ve seen some exotic stuff in the local museums too.[/quote] We are all wide eyed waiting to see what comes from a Russian flea market.

[quote=“CSAEOD”][quote=“Iconoclast”][quote=“Yuri Bushin”]

.[/quote] You haven’t lived until you have been body cavity strip searched by a KGB woman at Sheremetyevo air port- days gone by -I hear they are much nicer now -they wear gloves.[/quote]

I wonder can you pass through US customs with inert grenade now? I doubt it. About soil souvenir. It may be test for radioactivity. At least Soviets didn’t collect fingerprints from the visitors.

Today I don’t know. I don’t fly any more. When I flew home from Demark in 1970 I took on the aircraft a 500 piece small arms ammo collection in a hand bag. I doubt that it could be done now. No papers,no license, just a bag of ammo! Today I stay away from airports. Some of the high tech sniffers can pick up the trace powder from handling ammo on my clothes and/or skin.