Russian experimental saboted 5.45 / 7.62 x39 round

acquired this one as unknown curiosity “sight unseen”. Turned out to be one of experiments in converting old 7.62 AKM rifles to 5.45 caliber.

external projectile ‘shell’ / sabot is stamped from some sort of tin, the bullet inside is clearly a machined affair, 25mm long and 5.5mm in diameter.

Wow! that is amazing!
At first glance, it looked like a cast bullet. I hope someone here has more info about it. That round is fascinating. Does it look like it is shell of the bullet was intended to seperate and fall away after leaving the barrel like a discarding sabot, or is it more like a ‘Composite Rigid’ projectile?

Thanks for posting!
Allen

Allen it is a discarding sabot round.

[quote=“ASCorley”]Wow! that is amazing!
At first glance, it looked like a cast bullet. I hope someone here has more info about it. That round is fascinating. Does it look like it is shell of the bullet was intended to seperate and fall away after leaving the barrel like a discarding sabot, or is it more like a ‘Composite Rigid’ projectile?

Thanks for posting!
Allen[/quote]
Allen, the shell will fly away under the centrifugal forces as soon as the projectile will leave the muzzle; and the ‘inner’ bullet bears clear machining (lathe) marks

(Hits head against wall, repeatedly) I threw some of those bullets away, thought they were for toys…