Russian / Hungarian 57mm AA Drill?

Even though this is far from my primary area of research and collecting interest, I could not resist it. I have always just liked the way some, 57mm rounds looked, but never added any to my collection, with the exception of an EXP APFSDS Aluminum mock up projectile.

This was advertised and a drill round, but I have no clue. Anyone know anything about it?

Jason

1 Like

hello
nice round but i think that is repainted (but well repainted)

100% Repainted, but I believe it is a governmental repaint job to their specs?

I have seen a few factory made wood crates with 5 of these in them, all repainted identically to each other.

Jason

2 Likes

Nice! It’s an Hungarian “maketa” made at Pusztavacs. They used old cases manufactured by Fémnyomó.

Here is a picture of a sectioned example:
se

Regards,

Fede

4 Likes

Yes! So it totally is a purpose made drill round. Thanks, Fede.

Jason
PS: Do you know what, “Maketa,” means? Off to Google Lol

FOUND IT :slight_smile: Means dummy

1 Like

I would LOVE, 3 of these to put in my 57mm links. For now I’ll have to settle for casings. Very nice round Jason!

1 Like

hello
little difference between your pictures
ones from Jason had the shells crimped and the one in FEDE’s picture the shell isn’t crimped

Rhys, Hungary never had linked 57mm. Means for your links you would need Russian ones.

2 Likes

Jason, what are the markings on your fuze, can you maybe post images?

1 Like

Yes I know, but unfortunately in my area, beggars can’t be choosers! :joy::grin:

Maybe worth to keep searching!
Scratching brand new dummies putting them into links is not worth to have later a half correct assembly.

It would be like stuffing Chinese projectiles into Russian cases just to have “cartridges”.

1 Like

That is true! I have 3 fired Russian casings, I will need to find a way to get them into the links sometime.

There’s an elephant in the room but no one mentions it! Until now. The current source for these drill rounds-

57MM INERT ARTILLERY DRILL ROUND, EXCELLENT CONDITION. - Other Gun Accessories & Parts at GunBroker.com : 906188020

or email: sales@bowmanarms.com

Google translator: Gyakorlo = Hungarian for “practicing”.

3 Likes

BTW, “Maketa” is some Czech wording (not official even in Czechia) and does not apply to these Hungarian rounds.
Also the red triangles are no Hungarian markings but were later applied “commercial” Czech ones when they were handled in Czechia as surplus. Sure in order to please Czech officials and customs.

2 Likes

Just took some photos. Only markings I can see are, 2 red triangles. One is over hole and only partially visible.

Jason

2 Likes

Jason, this is only the upper fuze body. I mean the rest of it which is still attached to the projectile…

1 Like

Oh! Did not know that. Will take pics of that tomorrow :slight_smile: I do remember seeing a large X engraved. I will totally take better pics.

Jason

A lot of this Hungarian surplus training ordnance has appeared on the militaria market in the last few years.

Here in the UK I have seen Hungarian dummies of various sizes from 7.62x39 up to 122mm Grad rockets.

1 Like

According to the supplier in Europe (who supplied to bowman), they are Czech not Hungarian, or acquired there.

2 Likes

This is just ignorance of WAPA ordnance. We shall forgive him.

1 Like