Rwa & smi usa

Turned brass cases often found in British large bore obsolete case types headstamped RWA USA and SMI USA,

Who made these & in what state (address)? Seems they were on the market but for a short time & not all that long ago.

Also If anyone has experience using either these please shoot me an e-mail & please tell me your opinion of how good they are. Thanks

I think RWA is Red Willow Armory, but may be wrong.

Bertram Headstamp and SMI Headstamp ID's

Pete,
I believe you are correct on the Red Willow Armory. I have an old card that came with some 45-100 Sharps cases that has a company logo and address if I remember correctly. I will check when I get home.

Zac

Pete, the turned cases headstamped SMI USA were made by Stevi Machine in Stevensville, Montana. It seems that their first case was a .45 2.6’’ basic advertised in mid 1990.

In 1991 SMI changed its name to Red Willow Armory and later to Red Willow Tool & Armory, although in some cases both designations were used concurrently.

In 1993 they went out of business and the company was reorganized in Cody, Wyoming as the Rifle Works & Armory.

In late 1996 or 1997 their new designation was Gain Twist Barrel Co. (Rifle Works & Armory.)

In 1998 the company moved to a different address in Cody and again changed its name to Ballard Rifle & Cartridge, LLC.

In 2007 they moved to Onsted, Michigan, where they still operate as the Ballard Rifle and Cartridge Co.

Regards,

Fede

Thank you gentlemen,

Pete,

Here is that Red Willow card and the headstamp on the cases.

Zac

Very neat Zac, thanks much.

Looking at the lot & serial numbers one would think they were churning it out by the double handful’s.