RWS #1 30 mm signal cartridge

Would like to have some info about the german 30 mm signal cartridge. I have a nickel plated brass case made by RWS and headstamped " R.W.S 1 * 1" , berdan primer.

What’s the meaning of the numebr “1”? Was this cartridge also loaded with shot to use in some yacht cannon?

I also have this shell but not plated, 4.5" long and fired (copper Berdan). The mouth shows evidence of having been crimped with a series of short perhaps 1/8th inch long, crimps perhaps 1/4" apart. The mouth is now nice & round with these crimp? marks being quite faint.

From the interior it looks clean about half way from the mouth & then shows where a thick wad might have been, then about the lower 1/4 has some reasonably light firing residue.

About all I know of it. I too have a question if it was a shot shell.

Yacht Cannon were not meant to be used as for shooting shot but for signaling. Not to say some one couldn’t have used them for sport, or defense.

Thanks Pete, my sample was published in the municion.org database by the previous owner

municion.org/30mm/30x115R.htm

Well, my mistake about the use of the term “yacht cannon”…what I meant was those big smooth bore “cannons” mounted on small boats and used for hunting large quantities of birds. In Italian they are called " spingarde", but I don’t know the english term.

[quote=“Pivi”]Thanks Pete, my sample was published in the municion.org database by the previous owner

municion.org/30mm/30x115R.htm

Well, my mistake about the use of the term “yacht cannon”…what I meant was those big smooth bore “cannons” mounted on small boats and used for hunting large quantities of birds. In Italian they are called " spingarde", but I don’t know the english term.[/quote]

the term you are looking for is “punt gun”

the n°1 was a flare shell, not a punt gun shell
jp

the term you are looking for is "punt gun"
the n°1 was a flare shell, not a punt gun shell

Germany made only very very few punt gun shells;

• one, the best known, is from DWM
    brass case
    neck diameter 38.8
    inside diameter 37.2
    case length 248

• the other one is also from DWM
    brass case
    neck diameter 35
    inside diameter 33.5
    case length 125

in italy were made 32 mm and 4 and 8 gauges (both made by Leon Beaux and Fiocchi) 41 mm and 53 mm (for Beretta punt gun)

The 38 x 100 made by Fiocchi is not a punt gun shell but an anti hail shell
paper case
neck diameter 40.2
inside diameter 37.7
case length 100

There is a very old case made by Fiocchi 43 x 150, but I have’t still translate the drawing, therefore don’t know if it s a punt gun or an anti-hail shell
Paper case
neck diameter 46.2
inside diameter 43
case length 150

In England were quite a few punt gun shells
1 7/8 Holland Holland
1 3/4 Osborne
1 1/2 Eley
1, 1 1/8, 1 1/4, 1 1/2 and 2 Kynoch
and a few other ones

In France they were a lot of punt gun shells; Too long to enumerate

JP