S.A. Ball .450

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone may know something about this ammo/cartridges:?

On the light brown/tan tape the wraps the cardboard box is printed:

S.A.A. 15 (AUST)

CARTRIDGE
S.A. BALL

25 JAN 1944
M.G.

The actucal cartridge is rimless and has a crimp about 1/2 way up the brass case

on the headstamp is ZI ,MG,44 and .45

The box was in a ammo can I inherited and I had to cut the brown tape to open the box.

Thanks in advance
Brian

IIRC this was 45ACP made in Australia.

Yup, wartime Australian .45 ACP ammo.

Your cartridge was made by Small Arms ammunition Factory Number 2, Footscray. this ammunition was made primarily for the Thompson Submachine gun, of which Australia used quite a few. They may have have some .45 pistols as well - I am not sure. You also find .45’s with the headstamp “MF” which was S.A.A.F. Number 1, Footscray until after WWII, when “M.G.” was dropped and the former S.A.A.F. Factory 2 began using the “M.F.” designation.

[quote=“BJL_florida”]Hello,
I was wondering if anyone may know something about this ammo/cartridges:?

On the light brown/tan tape the wraps the cardboard box is printed:

S.A.A. 15 (AUST)

CARTRIDGE
S.A. BALL

25 JAN 1944
M.G.

The actucal cartridge is rimless and has a crimp about 1/2 way up the brass case

on the headstamp is ZI ,MG,44 and .45

The box was in a ammo can I inherited and I had to cut the brown tape to open the box.

Thanks in advance
Brian[/quote]

Brian,

The ZI mark may be IZ read upside down. If so it refers to Mark I, nitro cellulose (Z)

gravelbelly

One small additional point is that the “ZI” quoted in the headstamp is actually “IZ”, meaning Mark I ball round loaded with nitro-cellulose propellant. (as opposed to cordite)

Regards
TonyE