S&B 9mm odd headstamp

I went through another 1000rds of Fedarm S.A.L.F. 9mm today and found a few oddities. I am not with my image scanner at work and will post others tomorrow, but on this one S&B case I had to at least do a cell phone photo to see what this is about. Not sure what I’m looking at here… a date & lot number code, or two dates? Have not seen this before:

Am sure that represents either lot 14 of 2016 or lot 16 of 2014. That
is the problem with this kind of headstamp. Not a problem for the factory,
of course. I have not seen an S&B 9 mm with a NATO mark on it before.
If you find another one, I would love to get one!!!

john Moss

Here is a better resolution image of the S&B headstamp, as well as a handful of others in the lot of 1000 I looked through. I’m sure some of them are nothing, but wasn’t sure. I believe there are two slight variations of Herters headstamp there. There is also the new (current) LAX headstamp and a ZVS headstamp that I haven’t come across before.

The ZVS is the new type and is basically the exact logo as they are using it on their website and in their documents.
The same exists on 7.62x39. Good to see it on 9x19 too.

Matt as for the hs on top. I just got the info that this is a cartridge made for the Czech police.
And here it is week 14 in 2016.

Interesting, so that headstamp is from exactly one year ago. Thanks!

For CZ police there’s not NATO symbol used… I have met several of those “special” lots / loads but non of those bears the cross in circle (additional lots/dates are quite common). There are brass monoliths HP, 100grs JSP TC, 115/124grs FMJ RN. This particular case was made for CZ Army or any other NATO country.

The “ZVS” headstamp looking like the company’s logo has been used in dated 9x19 headstamps since at least 2011, but it seems that it’s new to commercial cartridges.

Matt - that’s a great bunch of headstamps. The W M A 1 6 (without the
NATO Mark) surprises me. I had only heard of that on an early round
from them, dated “12” and I only have that one in a fired case. Very scarce
I think. Never had seen a ZVS with that stylized headstamp lettering, either.
The two different HRTRS headstamps are nice, too. Boy, its sure hard to
keep up the way these headstamps are coming out.

What is “Fed Arm S.A.L.F.”? I must have missed something there?

John Moss

John - Fedarm is a manufacturer in Arkansas who produces large quantities of bulk reman ammo. It is generally unremarkable except that they somehow have their own proprietary projectiles which I have seen nowhere else, which they call the S.A.L.F. for solid-alloy-lead-free. It’s a monolithic cupro-nickel as far as I can tell, and they are all light for caliber. The 9mm projectiles weighs only 80gr and screams at 1400+ fps at normal pressure levels. They use fired / processed brass, and from purchasing some 1000 rd lots of 9mm and .45acp from them, as well as buying unloaded processed 9mm brass from them I have found a bunch of headstamps.

I discussed them in earlier threads where there are lots of headstamp photos showing the variation found in the 1000 rd lots:

I probably missed a lot of these threads, depending on when they were.
It hasn’t been a very good year; lots of distractions, especially from the
passing of several friends. I saw in another current thread you explained the
very question I asked - I looked at that thread after asking it.

Thanks for the huge effort in answering it. I will try to review all those threads.
I am sorry for the bother caused.

John

The info on the S&B headstamp came from the Slovak Police.
After all NATO symbols are widely spread.

Living close to S&B factory I’m quite aware what are the cartridge lots currently contracted/loaded :-). There might be an option that this particular lot failed to be NATO accepted and sold for the lower price to police department (on the box usually stated FOR TRAINING PURPOSES ONLY). Will post the picture of such an box once back to CZ. Tomas

Matt, thanks for posting those headstamps. I like the new ZVS stamp!

Tomas, I look forward to any photos of S&B boxes and/or headstamps you may wish to post.

With so many different headsramps that S&B makes it seems that one can concentrate collecting just on S&B 9x19mm rounds.

Find enclosed couple of samples of S&B special lots boxes - sometimes it’s just simple black stamp either on front side or just the lot No. on the side of the standard commercial packaging; there’re using light green boxes with variation of stamps; there are using plain white boxes with the sticker around the whole box…etc, etc…I’m not collecting boxes, these few are just random samples of boxes I use for my reloads…

Trabi,

GREAT PICTURES!!! Any other box pictures would be greatly appreciated.

The light green boxes indicate some kind of change in headstamp? Can you explain, please?

Thank you,

Brian