S.G. No 10 shotgun shell - who made it?

Does anyone know if it has been determined who made this shotgun shell? My dated references indicate the maker as being unknown. I was surprised to find it this weekend at our local gun show, which has never been much of a source for collectible ammo.

Winchester Repeating Arms
a Second Quality case.

Pete.
I believe the Winchester shell has the W.R.A.Co. headstamp, and is marked ‘S.Q.’ (Second Quality) rather than ‘S.G.’ (Second Grade?).

“The shotshell in America,” by Iverson, shows the Winchester headstamp on page 170 as “S Q No 10” (not “SG”), while the “S. G. No. 10” headstamp is shown on page 180 with no comment as to manufacturer, only “Grey paper case-5/16” plain cup."

I couldn’t find any Winchester headstamp that had their company name along with either the initials “SQ” or “SG” on the same headstamp indicating a second-quality shell in any of my own reference books, but don’t know enough on this subject to make any statement about whether or not such a headstamp exists.

John,
Your’s must be an earlier copy of Iverson; mine has the SQ shell on page 201, and it is shown as W.R.A.CO. No 12 S.Q. Dan Shuey shows it this way in his volume II of W.R.A.Co. Headstamped Cartridges and Their Variations. However, he has in his notes ‘ALSO KNOWN W/ SQ ONLY’. Interesting! I don’t have either of these Winchester headstamps, nor have I seen one.

Woops guess I read the SG as a broken SQ. But not so, it is a distinctly different HS with no chance of the WRACo “Q” being a “G” due to the tail looping in towards the center before making a “tail”.
Sorry about that!
No, I don’t know who made it. About the only makers (that I’m aware of) from that era who used black or dark grey paper were USCCo and WRACo.
You might try comparing the inner head/base wad construction to other shells?
Guy I’ll e-mail you a photo of a WRACo made SQ & you can post it here if you want. Also the paper on the SQ is a much lighter gray than your S.G. I also have a “No 10” (only mark, found at 6:00 o’clock) headstamp which uses the same grey paper, and is by WRACo. Will send that photo also.
Again, sorry about the miss-read.

Thanks, Pete. The G on my shell is not well stamped and does resemble a Q. I had to look at it with a magnifying glass to convince myself it wasn’t a Q.

Here is the second quality headstamp by Winchester that Pete sent to me:

Winchester also made a W.R.A.CO. S.Q. headstamped shell.

[quote=“Guy Hildebrand”]Does anyone know if it has been determined who made this shotgun shell? My dated references indicate the maker as being unknown. I was surprised to find it this weekend at our local gun show, which has never been much of a source for collectible ammo.

[/quote]

This one is made by USC Co. I have a few of these and the paper color and texture matches a labelled USC Co shell I have.