S&w 38

Look how archaic the left one looks, with a small primer. I am sorting gobs of pistol ammo, mostly civilian calibres with which I am not familiar (translation: never heard or saw). I mostly pay attention to military calibres which carry the thing I crave, history. Sometimes I see something like the round on the left that makes me stop, so bear with my questions.

Hi vlad, no question. Here is my only .38 S&W box.

3 hs

good end
I have seen other similar boxes with the same headstamp.
Dan

2 Likes

Great box. I have none, but tons of this particular headstamp, loose. Now I know it is German. What does that red overprint in the middle say?

I think it says:“These cartridges are specially made,Rustproof”?"
I think…

2 Likes

I never before saw the word “rifle” in connection with .38 S&W. Was there ever a commercially made rifle for this cartridge, perhaps a lever action?

1 Like

I think it had something to do with importing Pistol ammunition.
Lets see what others have to say.
Dan

1 Like

or tax reasons…rifle ammo costs less tax

1 Like

It was a license tax on dealers in pistol cartridges that included cartridges for pistols only and cartridges for rifle and pistol, but not rifle cartridges. Several states imposed this tax in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s, like Kentucky (1880), Tennessee (1883), Alabama (1886), South Carolina (1887), Ohio (1903), and Louisiana (1908).

The Ohio act is particularly interesting because it mentioned: “…you cannot escape this law by having pistol cartridges labeled rifle cartridges…”, that was what most companies were doing to avoid this tax.

Regards,

Fede

1 Like

Thank you for this information. I was not aware of it, we never had this type of tax in Germany.

The International Cartridge Company of Germany? Wot? Yes, there’s this post of 2018 on the Forum, same box, some explanation of Fede, post of 2015 but what about this ICC of Germany? RWS, DWM, Polte, ghost-company, whatever…?

Dan, very nice box, the manufacturer is Sellier & Bellot, Schönebeck.

@duqjans It was a fantasy company name used by J. L. Galef, Rohde-Spencer and maybe other importers. You can also find it as “International Cartridge Co.” of Austria (made by Lichtenwörth) and France (made by SFM).

Regards,

Fede

1 Like

SFM was using their second quality line for this stuff evidently.

Regards

Corerect, with the , " markings like ,RUSTPROOF" on the left.
Very cool box!