SAAMI - Sporting Ammunition and the Fire Fighter

Very interesting video by SAAMI testing possible hazardous situations with ammunition in fires, dropping from 65 feet, stuck by bullets, crushed by bulldozer, etc.

Over 400,000 rounds of small arms ammunition were used in the various tests.

Very informative, and worth viewing the entire 26 minute video, but summary starting at 23:30 sums it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c&list=UUiWxn1eVlnOQ8sZQqLL-ijQ

Keep this in mind when you encounter fire fighters or law enforcement types who get all excited at the thought of people having ammunition in any quantity.

I would have liked to have also seen a test with ammo in steel “ammo cans” which are used by many shooters and collectors.

And for us collectors a test with a bunch of black powder loaded cartridges would be interesting.
Soren

I was a part-time employee of a gunshop in Oakland, Ca for many years. Shortly after the Oakland Hills Fire in 1991, one of the shops customers came in with a GI ammo can that had been through the fire at his home.

This was a standard .50 cal that was full of 5.56x45mm M193 Ball Cartridges packed in 20 rd. boxes, or at least the remnants of. The metal can was blacked and already starting to rust. It was bulged but you could still pry open the lid with some effort. Inside you could see the ash from the cartons. All of the rounds had cooked off from the heat and many of the now loose bullets were found within the bulged area of the can.

Of course I have no idea of at what temperature this ammunition was exposed too but this is an example of the powder becoming gaseous and burning with the expanding gases forcing the case and bullet seperation. There was no violent explosion and believe the the sound of the primers would have made most of the noise.

Locate a copy of Hatcher’s Notebook as this is an interesting read regarding ammo in fires that was done 80 years ago.

Using their own contact feature from their website, does anyone know any way to get the courtesy of a reply from CIP? Just wondered.

In my experience they do not even bother to respond to written letters.

Too bad. I wanted to get their permission to use their specification sheet on the 9 x 18 mm Makarov cartridge for what I am writing. SAAMI was extremely friendly and helpful to me in a similar request.

I think the last two posts on this thread were intended to to on the CIP thread…

You are probably right, but does it matter now?

John Moss–If you can find a phone number for the CIP, that might be your best bet. It is harder to ignore a telephone than it is an email or letter.

Ron - I had thought of that, but the trouble is, I won’t accept telephone permission to use
copyrighted material. Fraught with danger. I always need permission in writing, regardless
of the form. Not the end of the world, I will simply not use the drawing and mention in my blurb on CIP that they have one on line, but did not have the courtesy to reply to my inquiries even though they invite contact on their web site.