Sabot

for Type 86 100mm APFSDS (Tungsten alloy core, No radioactive contamination.)

maybe

Hi Tiengulden:
Great pictures and a super cool sabot. I have never seen a sabot petal with such wide “Buttress Grooves”, really cool. Buttress Grooves are the grooves on the inside of the sabot petals that line up with penetrator’s Buttress Grooves. This is how the energy of the sabot is transfered to the sub-projectile before discarding.

Just guessing, from what I see, the sabot petals you pictured do not seem to match either of the pictured rounds you showed. If you look carefully, your petals look to use 2 nylon bands to keep it together, one as a driving band. One of these is located at the top of the sabot. Yours could also possibly use a metal bourrelet at the top instead of a 2nd nylon band, hard to tell? From what I can see, the sabots pictured on the complete rounds only use 1 nylon band as its driving band and none on top? Also, the 2nd round, on the bottom of your post uses a very wide driving band instead of the narrow one used on your recovered sabot petals. The petals on the top complete round look to be longer then yours, with a slimmer waist?

I will look threw some of my reference material and photos to see if I can help ID it. I hope I can help if no one beats me to it :-) Either way, those are super sweet!

Jason

Hi Tiengulden:
Just curious, did you measure these? It is confirmed 100MM? I am hunting for info :-)

J

You are very carefully.
We here only four calibre APFSDS: 100mm(used for 100mm anti-tank smoothbore cannon), 105mm , 120 mm, 125mm (from Russia). The author of this photo certainly it not to used 120 or 125, the 105 have 27 slots, so I guess that the 100.

Type 71 100mm APFSDS from the Soviet anti-tank ammunition.

now we use…

Of course, we have some of the radioactive dirty ammo

some APT(armor plate target)…

WOW!
Those pictures are fantastic! Thanks! You may have better refference materials then me to match up those sabot petals? The pictures you just poster were great and I copied them all for my files. I love the photos showing the troops loading the ammunition into the tanks. Rare to see pictures like that with modern tank ammunition. I call those, “Ammunition In the wild” pictures vs staged studio photos for catalogs or book type pictures. The armor plate test shots were also great. Post more of you have them.

Jason

I just noticed in this picture you posted above ( I resized it smaller to save space) that this shell case seems to have 2 necks or shoulders on it? Could be a funny angle, but it looks to have a low shoulder/neck close to the bottom of the case and a typical shoulder/neck at the mouth end? I do not think I have seen that before?

Jason

Pics still looks large but I saved it as the smallest setting on photobucket?

you can visit http://s324.photobucket.com/albums/k348/beautyleg_2007_5/ammunition/