Sad news- Jim O'brien has passed away

Jim O brien has passed away.
He was a very nice guy and had a lot of knowledge about big shells
Condoleances to his family
jp

I just learned the news myself a few minutes ago. So sad and my condolences go out to all of his friends and family. He was such a nice man and I am sure will be missed by all who had the privilege of knowing him. This just sucks so much. :-( He will always be a big ord legend!

Jason

That is a huge loss to our community. May he rest in peace!

I’m sorry to read this.
Jim was able to answer a lot of big bore question.
We have lost more then a friend with this man.
I know it’s a bit late but thanks for your posts Jim.

I’m sorry to read this.
May he rest in peace!!!

Jim O’Brien was a big star in the universe of ordnance collecting. He told me a few weeks ago that he had terminal cancer. Now he is gone. He was the world’s expert in German , Japanese and US artillery ammunition. He never failed me in identification of an obscure ordnance item.

The loss is profound.

Can someone post a pic of Jim? I have heard the name, but as I don’t collect big stuff I’m not sure if I’ve met him.

I am really sorry to hear that. I only ever had contact with him through replies to a few questions on artillery cases, but he always managed to answer my questions.

I am very sorry to hear that Jim passed away, this comes very surprizing to me. Jim was a great guy and had friends all over the world. He was a profound expert on artillery ammunition and his death is a great loss to the ordnance identification and cartridge collecting community.

Jim invited me twice when I visited Arizona in the years 2004 and 2006. I very much liked the “Wild West” landscape around Huachuca City and the warm weather all year long. I think he liked that too.
May he rest in peace.

Chris