Salesman sample case, Western

This belongs to a friend and he wants to find out more about it. He gave it to me to photograph and post on this forum.

These are a sampling of the rounds in the case. They all have Western headstamps. There are more rounds than spaces. I suspect new sample rounds were added. Some have drilled primers others are not. there are about 1/2 dozen window shotshells and a cut away shotshell. 3 Newton headstamped cartridges and the felt counter protector. In fairly good condition except for a broken loop to hold one round in place and verdigris on most cartridges from the long contact with the leather loop. What year?
Thanks

Sportclay,

Very nice item there! Thank you for posting it.

The trade name “MARKSMAN” seen on the counter mat seems to have been last listed for .22 rimfire in 1938. If that is a .38 Spl. Metal Piercing there and it’s contemporary to the set, I would guess that puts it around the mid '30’s, but if added later, could date into the mid to later '20’s as “SUPER-X” and “XPERT” go back at least that far.

While it’s hard to tell what specific calibers are shown, and you indicate there may be later additions to the set, there may be better clues if you can determine the original items and walk the date forward to the most recent caliber/load listing in Western catalogs. Cartridge detective work is fun!

Dave

The .38 Spl. Metal Piercing Round has a drilled primer as do several other cartridges ( the other nickle plated 38 spl. round also has a drilled primer) and at least one of the rimfire .22lr with a copper case is drilled and inert. The projectile of the metal piercing round is slightly magnetic. There were about 9 or 10 rounds that clearly did not go with this group as they were UMC or Rem head stamps and are not in the pictures. I am going to take more pics of the individual rounds and pt them on photobucket.with a list of the various calibers. He is unsure what he is going to do with it as he is not a collector. I think it is a very nice item also! Thanks for your input!

THE “MADE IN USA” ON SHOTSHELLS STARTED CIRCA 1937? PERHAPS KNOWING THE EXACT DATE IS BECAME A REQUIREMENT COULD HELP.