SALVO II Cartridges

Cartridges from SALVO II Field Trials, Fort Benning, December 1957.

Note that I did not specify the exact loading of the Cal 30 Duplex/Triplex. I have no way to x-ray the cartridges and there is no way to ID them externally.

Ray

Some more nice rounds, I have a couple of US experimentals.

L-R

30-06 Triplex ? SALVO ? 30-06 Duplex SALVO 1 .22/30-06 Duplex SALVO 11

Simon

The left cartridge in your photo is the 7.62x51 Colt developed Squeeze Bore from the late 60s and early 70s. Three 55 grain projectiles squeezed down to 22 caliber by a special device attached to the muzzle of the M60 MG.

It should have a commercial R-P 30-06 headstamp and a small dimple on the primer where the cartridge was loaded into an M1 rifle to check its dimensions.

I think this cartridge was developed after SALVO ended but i guess you could say that every cartridge shooting more than one projectile has its roots in SALVO. Just like every small caliber US Military cartridge has its roots in SCHV.

That’s a very good collectable, BTW. And so are the other two.

Ray

Ray,
Thanks for the info, I can now list it properly. It does have the R-P 30-06 SPRG headstamp and the dimple. I thought it was closer to a 7.62x51 than a 30-06 but the 30-06 headstamp threw me.

Simon

It was quicker and cheaper to use the '06 case rather than make up a whole batch of long neck 7.62x51 brass. If the project had caught on they probably would have gone that way.

I don’t know if there was an official designation. The Colt boxes have a hand written notation on them which says “.30 cal SSB” which i suppose means Salvo Squeeze Bore.

Ray

cropped from my 2004 Flechette display at the SLICS…a few of the multi ball rounds sectioned next to their mates…sorry…under glass…thus the glare…will try to retake the photo when at back at home

Pepper

now that I think of it…I do not know who (AAI ?) made the red paper hulled 12 ga flechette round (top photo…“center” long paper, high brass)(? like yours?)…(like in my photos (and want to get one sectioned)…do you know it to be AAI?..we need to check with Dennis Trump
There is the burgundy Whirlpool (open case mouth)…and the plainly marked green hulled AAI…Aircraft Armament Inc (marked as such) round
Green Plastic=Remington
Red plastic=Winchester

Pepper

That’s a good question. Mine (including the one in my photo) are/were all commercial headstamped (Remington & Winchester) and from a period later than the original AAI production. Since I am interested primarily in the early SPIW cartridges I traded them off hoping to get an original AAI shell and, as a result, ended up with nothing.

Check your PMs.

Ray

Wow Pepper, that photo showing the sectioned multiball rounds is impressive!
I have a couple of 30-06 multiball rounds based on the standard case length as shown on the left of the bottom row of your photo.
Are all of the red tipped rounds triplex? I always asumed my cartridge was just a duplex. The projectile profiles do look different from the cartridge without the red tip.
Are there any good books on the subject of Salvo experimentals, my library is a bit lacking in this department

Not that I’ve found. Most only mention them in passing. Hopefully, DTIC will someday digitize and post the ORO’s SALVO I and II reports.

[quote=“craigt”] . . . I have a couple of 30-06 multiball rounds based on the standard case length as shown on the left of the bottom row of your photo.
Are all of the red tipped rounds triplex? I always asumed my cartridge was just a duplex. The projectile profiles do look different from the cartridge without the red tip… . . [/quote]

Craig

The standard neck length '06 duplex and triplex loads have been discussed on the Forum a couple of times. Do a search.

Simply put, there is no reliable way to differentiate between the duplex and triplex loads short of pulling the bullets or by x-ray.

As to references, you can pick up bits and pieces here and there and eventually put together a reasonable picture of Project SALVO. But, SALVO was going on concurrently with other programs such as SCHV, SPIW, etc and the different programs often overlapped. Throw in all of the inter-service rivalries and personal predjudices and it’s sometimes impossible to sort out the truth. For example, no one can with certainty say when Project SALVO officially ended.

Have fun.

Ray

Here are photos and corresonding x-rays of four 7.62x51 SSB cartridges.

From left to right

Soft point, R-P 30-06 SPRG, Label on case reads COLT Velocity and pressure comparison. 30/22 SBB. Primer has dimple

Triplex Dummy, R-P 30-06 SPRG, Label reads 30/22 SBB Dummy. The primer pocket is empty and there is a small hole in the case side.

Triples, (+) WCC 71, Label reads 1971 Colt, 30/22 SSB. There is no dimple in the primer.

Triplex, R-P 30-06 SPRG, Primer has dimple.

1. Does anyone have any further information on the first cartridge?
  2. Can anyone confirm that Colt made SSB dummies?

Dave S