Santa Left some interesting stuff!

Santa, with a little help from the perfect wife, left some interesting things. Imagine my surprise when I opened up some of those boxes under the tree?
I put a WWII 1911 pistol in the picture for size perspective.
The first round is a WWII M11A3 rifle grenade fired from a Garand or 1903 rifle.
The second is a Kinetic Energy Penetrator that is the main projectile in a 105mm sabot anti tank round.
The third item is a WWII 3.5 inch inert bazooka rocket.
Do I have a cool wife or what? The 45 was part of the package as well.

A keeper, fer sure.

And just an FYI, the 3.5" M20 bazooka wasn’t fielded until the Korean Police Action.

hey a question if you will munitionguy please
I have one of the 105mm sabot penetrators and have had it for a few years. (in fact it looks just like the one you got from Santa) I have it stored in a conrete box because I have “heard” that some were DU rounds and some were not. I don’t want any DU round of anything in my collection so how can I tell if its "safe or not?"
thanks anybody?

Steve
IIRC you need to smash it into powder form to make it dangerous.
Keith Lampear had a DU display and gave a presentation on DU ammo and it’s (lack of) dangers at the 2009 SLICS. You might want to contact him for a copy.

As far as telling if yours is, or isn’t, DU, all you need is a Geiger counter.

Munitionguy
You have a good wife.
Somewhere around here I have some MP training papers on your 3.5" round, if you’d like a copy (and I can locate them) let me know.
The WW-2 Bazooka round was a 2.36" round, that looks like the one in the photo below

[quote=“stevesummers”]hey a question if you will munitionguy please
I have one of the 105mm sabot penetrators and have had it for a few years. (in fact it looks just like the one you got from Santa) I have it stored in a conrete box because I have “heard” that some were DU rounds and some were not. I don’t want any DU round of anything in my collection so how can I tell if its "safe or not?"
thanks anybody?[/quote]
Steve,
Tailgunner’s answer sums up what I have read. As a matter of fact, I am not sure if it is tungsten based or DI. When I get a chance, I might swing by the firestation to see if they can tell.
Either way, I don’t plan to saw it, grind it, hold it a lot or ingest anything that touches it. :)
Just in case…
Smitty

[quote=“SlickRick”]A keeper, fer sure.

And just an FYI, the 3.5" M20 bazooka wasn’t fielded until the Korean Police Action.[/quote]

SlickRick,
Thanks for the ID. It is hard enough to research this stuff without being able to search for the real name. I appreciate the correct ID.
Funny story…
In 1969, I lived in Gulfport, Mississippi and was very active in the Boy Scouts. I was 13 at the time and the Gulfport council organized a 50 mile hike to get to our summer camp for the week before our regular summer session. It was hot as heck and most of us kids carried way too much stuff on the hike. The first 10 mile trek ended with us camping overnight at a military training facility in the forest. After getting there and resting a bit, some kids went off in the woods exploring and word came back quick of treasures. Because they held war games, we started finding ambush sites with lots of brass and links on the ground from the M60 machine gun. Everybody figured out how to remake the belts of 7.62 ammo blanks and a lot of folks were now wearing those loose belts.
Well, my friend Wally comes out of the woods carrying one of these blue rockets. It was the only one found and Wally would not part with it for anything. Oh well.
The next day we started walking our next 10 mile portion down hot south Mississippi black top roads, carrying the same load we had yesterday plus our new treasures. And Wally toting that rocket in his back pack…
That afternoon at our next camp, with mixed feelings, I did indeed buy it from Wally for 50 cents. My enthusiasm increased expotentially after learning that a Scout mom came up to visit with treats that same night and some people were sending excess weight items back home with her. She took my excess stuff along with that rocket and dropped it off that night back at home. :)
For years, until I moved out, that rocket, sat in a wooden stand on the floor in my room. I moved out in 1974 and that is the last I remember seeing that rocket. My parents moved in 1978 and for sure it was gone to some neighborhood kid.
Fast forward to this year. With renewed interest in ordnance, ammo collecting and access to the internet resources for research, I began a search for a similar device. I finally ID’d it by looks and saw one listed in Shotgun News at Sarco for $99. Subtle hint to wife and now I have one again. This one even has what I think is a rocket motor or something on it. Tailgunner says he might have some paperwork on it and I look forward to learning more about it.
Thanks,
Smitty

[quote=“Tailgunner”]Munitionguy
You have a good wife.
Somewhere around here I have some MP training papers on your 3.5" round, if you’d like a copy (and I can locate them) let me know.
The WW-2 Bazooka round was a 2.36" round, that looks like the one in the photo below
[/quote]

Tailgunner,
I would indeed be interested in a copy of any paperwork you had about my bazooka shell. Without knowing what I had in the past, it was hard to ID it. I finally saw it on a web page. I kept seeing Bazooka rockets from WWII similar to yours. I don’t recall seeing any for sale any where.
Your rocket looks in great shape. Let me know what I can do to assist in getting a copy of your material if you can find it.
Thanks,
Smitty

Smitty

If the paint isn’t totally worn, you’ll find a manufacturer’s date somewhere on the 3.5". Mine’s on the fuze(short center section) 2-54. All kinds of info on these online. Lots of good sites akin to the IAA forum but cover the larger stuff. I still have a few Cub Scout “battlefield” finds from years past.

Munitionguy,
If your wife ever considers polygamy, I’d like my name to be on her list. Buying stuff at Sarco is quite an experience by itself, try it in person, those guys are afraid of their own shadow.

[quote=“SlickRick”]Smitty

If the paint isn’t totally worn, you’ll find a manufacturer’s date somewhere on the 3.5". Mine’s on the fuze(short center section) 2-54. All kinds of info on these online. Lots of good sites akin to the IAA forum but cover the larger stuff.
[/quote]

SlickRick,
Thanks, mine is 12/55.

1. Your pic shows 3 pieces. Does it unscrew?
  2. If you look at my picture, you will see a lever band wrapped around the fuze section. A spring loaded rod is sticking out about one inch. Any idea what that is? I do have a manual now that I can go read to see if that explains it.
    Thanks for the info.
    Smitty

Smitty

I emailed you the answers.

This bazooka thing is getting out of hand here. Some of the “regulars” may start takin’ a shine to this big, fancy stuff, and we’ll never hear from them again. I do know, for a fact, there are some on this forum that have branched out, as we say, and gone to the dark side of big ord collecting. As Ray would say, “not that there’s anything wrong with that”.

Just keep in mind, we’re all SAA here, all the time. 24/7/365. Nowhere else like it. Not even close. Don’t want to sully the rep with these “off-topic” things.

Rick

[quote=“SlickRick”]Smitty

I emailed you the answers.

This bazooka thing is getting out of hand here. Some of the “regulars” may start takin’ a shine to this big, fancy stuff, and we’ll never hear from them again. I do know, for a fact, there are some on this forum that have branched out, as we say, and gone to the dark side of big ord collecting. As Ray would say, “not that there’s anything wrong with that”.

Just keep in mind, we’re all SAA here, all the time. 24/7/365. Nowhere else like it. Not even close. Don’t want to sully the rep with these “off-topic” things.

Rick[/quote]

Rick
You just need to move the decimal point over (convert to cm) IE: to 7.5, 8.8, 9.0 and 10.5, to “fool em”

Tailgunner–What is the gold colored one (4th from left end). I don’t think I have seen that case before.

Ron, that is a 88mm PaK 43 or KwK 43.

Which is for this gun:

Or this:
oldhickory30th.com/Arno%20La … 88%202.jpg
Soren

Or this little guy

It’s a steel case 88x822R, that’s been painted (the way I received it).
Per the seller, it was recovered in the area of the “Battle of the Bulge”

Nice accumulation you’ve got there Tailgunner. Sure wish we could wrestle a section specific to this sized ammo. For the variety in it. Minor tomes for headstamps ought to excite even the stodgiest of SAA collectors. Just sayin’.

[quote=“SlickRick”]Which is for this gun:

[/quote]

Rick, this is a 88mm FLAK 36 which used different ammunition.