SARIN GAS in IRAQ

This photo from Getty Images shows a lot of SARIN gas vials found in IRAQ along with mortar shells and tubes.

Can anyone read the Russian label ?

Very difficult to read, but it says something like: “Look up the sequence of handling labelled tubes in the instruction notes”. Actually, the English text on the left is a better translation. These tubes remind me of my high school military class in Moscow where these tubes were inserted into a chemical heating block and mixed with something and when they changed colour, you knew which gas or chemical hit you.
Sorry, my Russian is a bit rusty after 30 years in the States. What I’ve called “labelled tubes” needs to be “indicator tubes”.

So, Vlad, these vials would be part of a test kit to determine the presence of gas, and not containers or delivery systems for the gas itself?

These were found by US Marines in OPERATION PHANTOM FURY in FALLUJAH.

They may be indictator tubes (and if so, ask yourself why) BUT the nature of the finding implies 1) use by someone who has sarin gas weapons, 2) use by someone who THINKS that they are sarin gas.

There is no reportage of ANY fielding of “enviornmental testing units” by combatants in IRAQ except the US.

Here is the web site of interest:

usatoday.com/news/graphics/p … /flash.htm

I believe these vials contain the “gas” that would be used to check detection equipment used to detect SOMAN, SARIN, V-GASES, as this is what is written on the package.

I think I’ve read somewhere that this stuff is East German from the old Wasaw Pact days.

To Jon C.
Yes, to the best of my ignorance, it strongly resembles a chemical warfare testing kit.

Armourer and Sksvlad,
Both make sense, thanks.

[quote=“Armourer”]I believe these vials contain the “gas” that would be used to check detection equipment used to detect SOMAN, SARIN, V-GASES, as this is what is written on the package.

I think I’ve read somewhere that this stuff is East German from the old Wasaw Pact days.[/quote]

Why would this be needed (wanted) in IRAQ ?

[quote=“Jon C.”]Armourer and Sksvlad,
Both make sense, thanks.[/quote]

Well said.

Thanks for the usual.

[quote=“CSAEOD”][quote=“Armourer”]I believe these vials contain the “gas” that would be used to check detection equipment used to detect SOMAN, SARIN, V-GASES, as this is what is written on the package.

I think I’ve read somewhere that this stuff is East German from the old Wasaw Pact days.[/quote]

Why would this be needed (wanted) in IRAQ ?[/quote]

These vials are (possibly)just part of a larger NBC detection kit which would contain all sorts of chemicals etc for training .

They were at war with Iran, another country that may use NBC warfare against them.

All Armies that think they would encounter NBC warfare would train on what to do and the training teams would have these kits. I’d lay money on the Brit Army/US Army having something similar.

Edited to add: I’m not saying there isn’t Sarin in Iraq it’s possible, just that the photo isn’t of sarin.

[quote=“Armourer”][quote=“CSAEOD”][quote=“Armourer”]I believe these vials contain the “gas” that would be used to check detection equipment used to detect SOMAN, SARIN, V-GASES, as this is what is written on the package.

These vials are (possibly)just part of a larger NBC detection kit which would contain all sorts of chemicals etc for training .

They were at war with Iran, another country that may use NBC warfare against them.

All Armies that think they would encounter NBC warfare would train on what to do and the training teams would have these kits. I’d lay money on the Brit Army/US Army having something similar.

Edited to add: I’m not saying there isn’t Sarin in Iraq it’s possible, just that the photo isn’t of sarin.[/quote]

There is no evidence that Iran ever used poison gas against Iraq. There is evidence of the contrary as well as the use of the same against Iraqi people by their government.
More than one Iraqi leader has been hanged for that already - with more to come.

Sadam had and used Sarin gas there is no question about that.

[quote=“CSAEOD”][quote=“Armourer”]I believe these vials contain the “gas” that would be used to check detection equipment used to detect SOMAN, SARIN, V-GASES, as this is what is written on the package.

These are detection detergents. These things are also marked in German by the way. Means they were made likely in East Germany.
Probably Iraq was aware that Iran also could use chemical weapons. Every regular army has chemical protection equipment.
These kits have shown up from East German Army stocks as well - they never had chemical weapons.

[color=red]EDIT:
I would appreciate to get a PM when my postings get edited. Thank you![/color]

Breaking news:
Here some such chemical weapons I have found in my basement:

… wait is that SWAT boots I hear in front of my door?

Ok, just a joke. Everybody with a basic knowledge on gas protection knows that such vials contain special chemical detergents which react WITH chemical weapons (and indicate) and DO NOT contain them.

OK, the identification has been made. The political stuff doesn’t belong here and has been removed.