Savage 32 ASP - ACP

I finally found a
S.A.CO.
32 ACP
The ACP headstamped round is pictured with the 2 variations of the 32 ASP headstamps I have.
According to Howard Hoovestol in his Savage Cartridges book- The date of approximate headstamp manufacture is
S.A.CO. .32 A.C.P. 1907
S.A.CO. .32 A.S.P. 1907-1917
.32 A.S.P. S.A.CORP. 1917-1927

1 Like

Is .32 A.S.P. exactly the same as .32 A.C.P.? Is it just a marketing name/tool? Can one fire .32 ASP in a .32 ACP gun? And what was the last year of Savage name being on any headstamp?

ASP = Auto Savage Pistol & you know ACP = Auto Colt Pistol & yes the same & yes a marketing tool
Boxes were very pretty this one has had the side label put on upside down.
Can’t tell you the last date of manufacture but I think Remington made the last of their rifle ammunition for them, and most likely someone with supply the date and correct me about who was the late product manufacturer.

1 Like

Savage Ammunition Manufacturers:

1895 - 1899 Union Metallic Cartridge Co.
1900 - 1927 Savage Arms
1928 - 1934 United States Cartridge Co.
1935 - 1963 Remington Arms

The Savage brand of ammunition ended in 1963

Pete’s beautiful box is believed to be from between 1908 and 1913, and definitely no later than 1915, when Savage Arms Company became the Savage Arms Corporation.

Reference: “Savage Ammunition,” Revised 3rd Edition, Peter L. Zimmerman, Page 20

John Moss

2 Likes

Great info. When it says “S.A.Co.”, is it SA Corporation or SA Company? How to tell?

Vlad - the boxes will be spelled out. See original headstamp pictures from Bob Ruebel at top of this thread for samples of S.A. Company and S.A. Corp. headstamps.

John Moss

1 Like

And what time period is “SAVAGE”?

DSCF3079

Before I will answer your question, Vlad, I will note that there is a headstamp, probably rare (I don’t collect Savage cartridges in general so I don’t know) with a headstamp of “S.R.A.Co.” used only on the .303 Savage Caliber cartridge, from 1896-1897. I am guessing that “S.R.A.” stands for “Savage Repeating Arms,” but again, that is only a presumption.

Regarding the use of “SAVAGE” on headstamps, it seems to have from used firs in 1924. Until 1953, it seems to have been used only on the .25-20 and .32-20 caliber cartridges, for what reason I have no idea. In the period 1953 to 1963 it was used on more calibers, but not all for that whole time span. For example, it was used on .222 Remington from 1953 to 1963, but on .270 Winchester, only from 1959 to 1963.

All this reference the same source, by Peter Zimmerman, as mentioned in my previous answer. It is my only source dedicated just to Savage Arms, and I am really not qualified to judge its accuracy, although it seems to be fairly well researched. It has a few short-comings - for example, I find nothing in the book explaining the meaning of “S.R.A.” on early .303 Savage Caliber headstamps. As I mentioned, above, my interpretation of that is just a guess. It also is very light on showing headstamps from all calibers, rather than just the few examples for each company designation that it does show. It is very light on my field, auto pistol, in all respects.

I believe, though, that what is there, is likely pretty accurate.

John Moss

1 Like

Hi John,
Did Zimmerman show the Savage S.R.A.Co. headstamp? I checked to see if I had a Savage SRACo hs, and I did not. I only found U.M.C. with the .303 S.R.A.Co. headstamp. Is it possible he meant this hs?
Thanks,
Dan

Savage hs

1 Like

My only reference book on Savage is titled Savage Cartridges by Howard Hoovestal, Bismarck, ND 2002. Howard was a IAA member in the past.

Information and Cartridge Box pictures are from Howard Hoovestal book

Approximate Dates Manufactured

U.M.C. .303 S.R.A.CO. 1895-1896
UMC 303 SRA CO
S.R.A. CO. .303 headstamp 1896-1898
SRA CO 303

SAVAGE 25-20 Hi.P. headstamp 1924-1963

1 Like

Believe the left example is quite uncommon, & it is not a Miniature but a full patch load, for whatever that is worth. My only miniatures from this era are with the right HS & I have two, a lead & a CN-jacketed variation. Howards box barely / faintly shows the upper mid-neck smooth case cannelure (near the “E”) which was an identifying feature of a miniature load.
edited to add the photo of the over-all examples both have the S.R.A.Co. 303 headstamp of the left headstamp photo. So I did have a miniature. What happens when not all your rounds are in one spot.

SRACo & SACo .303 Sav HS's

1 Like

You don’t need my answer, but just for the record, the Zimmerman book shows the same headstamp as Pete posted, although Pete’s picture is much better.

John Moss

Thank You Bob, Pete, and John!
I thought I had a miniature also, so went looking. I found these.
HS
It looks like the S primer is a different size, and the UMC SRACo headstamp comes with the neck cannelure also. (On the fe.) But no rare one Pete!

Yes Dan 2 different sized “S” exist on the “S.A.Co. .303 SAV.” hs you show above, upper row on the right.

I have a box of Savage primers but it is still sealed & I’ve always wondered if these “S” marked primers were in it. Or that was something reserved for factory use. On the other hand i see a lot of them with seating marks like your upper right, but these cases & everything else look to be original factory production. So did they just have sloppy primer seating on the line? OR ??