Savage non hunting ammo

Did Savage make any non hunting ammo (military, police, match etc)? I seem to have only hunting ones in my possession, like the one below.
DSCF3282

Not really that I’m aware of.
Although they did load full metal jacketed bullets, aka Solids or Full Patch.

I believe a case exists in.303" British with a MK VII headstamp which would indicate a military contract or S.A.Co. trying to obtain a contract.

Edited to correct the Savage name.

1 Like

Arthur Savage was born in Jamaica and I suppose a British subject, so perhaps he felt an expression of support for Britain was called for, assuming the .303 case is from the period of the First World War. Jack

1 Like

I’ll edit my above post to show this as the name, as it was this name not as I posted. I have this as a draw piece. No MK VII on it, but I have seen it.
SACo 303 BRITISH

1 Like

Could this be a military type ammo made for hunting? I have a bunch of sportarized Lee-Enfields, somebody was hunting with them.

Not really Vlad, most all companies offered .303" in sporting loads, same as today I’ll bet if you look at a Winchester or Remington 2020 catalog you’ll see some for sale. The difference is in the use of the accepted designation of MK VII & .303 British, and of course the load, bullet, crimps, waterproofing, primer & etc.

Sure full jacket was used for hunting, but it’s It not considered military type, just because it was used mostly by the military.

In almost every US “sporting case type” you will find FMJ loads, and by various manufacturers, over the most all the period it was produced. It may not have been in great demand but it was made and sold.

If you were out trapping a fur-bearing critter to sell the pelt you want a small hole which is what a FMJ does, you would be a FMJ buyer. Or if you were a good shot, hungry & didn’t want a lot of ruined meat, you were a FMJ buyer.
If you were out hunting an elephant you were a FMJ buyer.

At one time Enfields & Swiss & Mauser’s & other actual military issue rifles came into the US by the ship load. Based on my very limited experience, but growing up in the 1950’s & reading all the gun magazines I could lay hands on, I shall give a Wild A** Guess & say 75% of them were sportarized in some manor. Perhaps someone can give a better guess?

1 Like

However by the advent of “The Great War”, Savage had sold his firearms company to a group of investors (1905) and was in the business of making tires. Interesting (non-cartridge) note is that Savage was the inventor of the radial tire design. Talented fellow.

1 Like

Savage: Thanks for the correction. My knowledge of Arthur Savage is from his obituary in the American Rifleman at the time of his 1938 passing. Likely that obit indicated he had sold his interest in the firm years earlier. Jack