Searching IAA

In IAA search window it says “Place + in front of a word which must be found and - in front of a word which must not be found.” Why do I want to search for a word which “must not be found”? If I don’t want to find something, I just do not look for it.

It is the same as in Google. You search for example for “cartridge” and get about 5 million matches. When you look through them you will find it is mainly printer ink cartridges.
Seen here (for better understanding I clicked on images only):
google.de/search?q=cartridg … 20&bih=933

Means your search result may produce way too many not wanted by products which will spoil your intended search as you will be hardly able to go through the tiniest bit of the search results.
So instead you type then: cartridge -ink -printer -office -refill -toner
This will bring you this result then:
google.de/search?q=cartridg … r&tbm=isch

As you see the results are very different. I am using the “negative” search on a daily basis as this is basically the filter you can apply yourself to remove unwanted results.

Well, if I was searching for information about Niger, and searching for Niger also yielded results for Nigeria, I can filter away the latter. It’s just meant to let you be able to avoid having to browse through information you were not looking for in the first place.

Edit:
EOD was quicker than me, with a better example. ;)

So, if I want to find a topic about 9mm Finnish ammo, I must write “+9mm -American-Italian-German-Russian-Rhodesian-Australian-Czech-Slovenian-Brazilian-Icelandic-Greenlandic-Malaysian-the rest-of-the-world-but-not-the-country-to-the-right-of-Sweden-and-to-the-left-of-Russia” and after listing the entire world but Finland it will give me 9mm Finnish ammo?
I am seriuous, how would you look for “9mm Finnish” ammo?

Vlad

I am like you - confused over how to use the IAA Search function. I never have much luck.

As far as 9mm Finnish ammo - I know that you will get a lot of hits on “ammo”, a bunch on “9mm” and a few on “Finnish”. How do I know? I just tried it and got 403 hits!

Ray

Well, doing successfull searches in the web is often underestimated as one needs to think carefully what he wants.
If the subject is difficult one needs to search for the correct search terms first (and I am serious now), one can just type what comes to his mind, click on images then and see if there is anything desired amongst the images. There you follow the links and try to find the proper or best designation for what you need (if that was not already in the initail results). Then you refine the designation and do a new search. That often brings you much closer to the wanted results. If there is still too much byproducts you just put them with a “-” into the search line and try again.
And most important to our readers from non English speaking countries:
Always do your searches in English (make sure spelling is correct and in particular observe the use of “.” and “,” in caliber designations and figures as such as that is one of the most observed errors of non English speakers) as results in any other language will be much less than what you get when using the “most likely” language in this world.
If one is after a certain country a search in the regarding language may also be helpfull - like here and now in Finnish (see further below).

For Finnish 9x19 (images):

google.de/?gws_rd=ssl#q=9x19+finland

google.de/?gws_rd=ssl#q=9x19+vpt

Here the results in Finnish:
General:
google.de/search?q=9x19+pat … =933&dpr=1
google.de/search?q=patruuna … a&tbm=isch

[quote=“RayMeketa”]Vlad

I am like you - confused over how to use the IAA Search function. I never have much luck.

As far as 9mm Finnish ammo - I know that you will get a lot of hits on “ammo”, a bunch on “9mm” and a few on “Finnish”. How do I know? I just tried it and got 403 hits!

Ray[/quote]

Ray, if you want to exclude results for the single words of your search you need to put them in quotation marks like this “9mm Finnish ammo”.
This ensures that only this combination of words will be sought by the system.

Look here:
General:
google.de/?gws_rd=ssl#q=%22 … sh+ammo%22
google.de/search?q=9mm+Finn … 20&bih=933

I searched "“9mm Finnish”, leaving out the word ammo, and got even more hits - 406.

Ray

[quote=“RayMeketa”]I searched 9mm Finnish, leaving out the word ammo, and got even more hits - 406.

9mm Finnish in quotations yielded 407. Go figure.

9mm Finnish ammo in quotations gave me 408.

Ray[/quote]

Not all results are consistent for all subjects.
I was speaking of about 15 years of experience doing webresearch on a multitude of subjects.
You will need to try on many subjects with a multitude of search terms/entries to see the benefit of quotation marks and “-” etc.

I think I’m beginning to get it. There are obviously a lot of posts about 9mm Finnish ammo. More than 400. But, if I’m only interested in bullet types, I enter “9mm Finnish ammo bullet types”, in quotations, and I get 17 hits. The quotation marks make all the difference.

Thanks EOD.

Ray

Good, and the less words you enter (choose carefully to keep the significance) the better are the results as more words do exclude many results which still may be helpfull. Lesser words do work again better when done without quotation marks (usually) but if one is after something he certainly can try all variants and check on the results.
Still a lot to discover out in the web.

Vlad
It’s Boolean logic
Just spaces (IE the normal way you write) means “any or all” of the search words

• means it “must contain” that search word
  • means it “must not contain” that search word IE: to eliminate common but unwanted results
    " " means it “must contain that exact phrase” (including any spelling errors you make)
    Etc

To your second post/question, you could place it in quotes “9mm Finnish”, but that will also eliminate any posts that had the phrase written as “Finnish 9mm”. Personally I’d use +9mm+Finnish as a search term