Sears ammo

Can any one tell me the manufacturer’s name of the original Sears Ted Williams 22 LR XTRA-RANGE AMMO?

CHSMEAD–I am not positive, but I believe it was actually made by Federal Cartridge Co.

Thank you for the quick response.

Can confirm it was in fact Federal Cartridge Co.

Can you tell me the source of your info? A very fine steak dinner is held in the balance for me from a fellow enthusiast if I can provide this info!

Thanks

Chsmead–That information would be in Part II of Tony Dunn’s compilation on the .22 Boxes of the U.S.A., but I can’t find my copy right now. I have found Part I and Part III, but not Part II. Does anyone have his copy handy?

I can say that Federal was making 99% of the contract ammo for most of the chain stores at that time. They made the cartridges for Montgomery Wards, Gambles, Coast-to-Coast, etc.

I suggest you drop an email to Rich Rains, head of the .22 Box Collectors of America. If you need his email or phone, drop me an email and I will give it to you. If you are an IAA member, check the Membership Listing.

RonMerchant

Thanks again for your time. Can you give me a source for said publications? I am new to this venue and need all the help I can get!

CHSMEAD–Tony’s work is no longer generally available. It was privately published by Xerox by Tony himself and Tony died many years ago. If anyone can direct you to a copy it will be Rich Rains.

I cannot find Rich Rains in the list of members, can you help me out?

Thank you in advance,

C.

Chsmead–Check your email for the information.

[quote][quote=“RonMerchant”]Chsmead–Check your email for the information.

I got it, thank you!

C.

There seems to be a large call for Tony Dunn’s work on .22s. I, myself, have only the work he co-authored on Canadian .22. Is it feasible that someone with all three volumes could scan them an provide the books electronically at a reasonable price that would obviously be to defray expenses, and not inject a profit motive (in relation to copyrights), or something like that? There doesn’t seem to be a real copyright problem, and it is, in my opinion, a tribute to Dunn that everyone wants his works.

Regardless of the original quality of the reproduction, a good flat-plate scanner will duplicate the quality without denegrating it. All of the scanning of paper material (pages of catalogs, box labels, etc.) have come out as good (or as bad) as the original I was scanning. This isn’t true of most copy machines, unless they are of the very fine (and unfortunately, very expensive) variety.

Just a thought.

John Moss

John Moss